JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Alright, so I guess I won't be having a home birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1043483-alright-so-i-guess-i-won-t-having-home-birth.html)

ZoesMom April 29th, 2008 05:50 PM

I will be going with a midwife, no questions. I just can't seem to get DH on board with the idea. He's scared that something will happen to the baby and we won't get to the hospital on time. But he's agreed to compromise, as have I. I'm going to have a midwife assissted hospital birth, and I'm hoping it will be a lot better than my OB assissted birth.

I'm happy either way. My first appointment is May 27th.

YAY!!

*Vero* April 30th, 2008 03:07 PM

Brandi - If it goes the way my midwife assisted horpital birth went, you will love it... It was just like a home birth (I never saw a doctor... and the only time I saw a nurse was when the midwife checked me in and when I left the room with my baby and they all said congratulations to me!!)

The room was nice, I had a nice jacuzzi tub to labour in (which is something I don't have at home) and there was a rocking chair there that my sister got to sit on and rock her new niece to sleep in when Elyssa was just about an hour old!! :wub:

Another thing you can do is see if you can do early release, I was able to go home about 3-4 hours after I gave birth!

If I could have had the same experience in this town I'm currently in I would have gone with the same thing again because I knew it worked for me... but unfortunately the midwifery practice I am seeing is still fighting to get hospital priviledges, so I would have to have shared care with a doctor and the midwife would be nothing but a doula... so for me Home birth was the better option!

^RaineDrop^ April 30th, 2008 05:11 PM

Aw well that sounds like a fair compromise, like Vero said I am sure it will be no less an amazing experience! I hope that regardless of location you still get exactly the birth you want. I am having to give up my home birth too, but because we can't afford it in the time we have left. I am hopefully going to REALLY try and get a doula instead to accompany me and be there for me in the hospital. My husband is going to be a wreck and lord knows I am going to need ALL the support I can get, and I'm not a fan of nurses and doctors that I especially don't know.

Be sure to let us know how your first appointment goes :)

ZoesMom April 30th, 2008 07:07 PM

Most definitely I will. I hope that the midwives here do the Prenatal Screening at 12 weeks. My OB was offering that, so hopefully, I can have that with a midwife too. Mike doesn't want me to cancel my OB appointment. He still wants to see what this midwife thing is about and then make his final decision, and I think it's fair to do so. He's being fair by considering it.

^RaineDrop^ May 1st, 2008 01:53 AM

That is true! I think keeping your OB appointment is a good idea too. You both can take each experience and compare/contrast them. Hopefully that will help convince him about what is best for you. Some people are just too hung up on thinking that strict medical professionals are the better way to go, but it's mostly out of fear. I'm sure that getting these two drastic perspectives will help him though.

chlodoll May 1st, 2008 07:35 PM

My SIL and a good friend of mine both had midwife assisted births and they both loved their experiences. They were also able to leave the hospital after only 3-4 hours. They just need to see that baby is latching well if you are nursing.

pat899 May 2nd, 2008 09:49 AM

Just be careful of the mini-ob. They say they are midwives but they push just as many interventions as the docs.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori May 4th, 2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Just be careful of the mini-ob. They say they are midwives but they push just as many interventions as the docs.[/b]
:ditto: