JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Midwife Hopsital Transfer Rate (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1047573-midwife-hopsital-transfer-rate.html)

littlebabydolly May 2nd, 2008 12:42 PM

What was your midwife's hospital transfer rate? I interviewed one already and she said 15-20%. That seemed high to me for some reason. She still said only 3% c-section rate... but still. Is this a pretty average rate?

Butter May 2nd, 2008 01:15 PM

Mine's just over 5%. The midwife who delivered Cameron had a 3% transfer rate. That rate does sound high, but the population of women she's delivering makes a difference. The midwife who delivered Cameron delivered 80% Amish women and drugs don't even enter into their thinking. The more first time moms a midwife delivers the higher her transfer rate will be. A lot of midwives find that a good number of their transfers are women who change their minds and decide they want drugs.

shadowdweller May 2nd, 2008 03:01 PM

mine has an 8% transfer rate, and even volunteered the breakdown for who transfered for what...the vast majority of transfers are first time moms who change their minds, like butter said.
20 % seems a bit high to me.
oh, and included in her transfer rate are post-birth transfers...the other three i interviewed did not include those...

twiceinabluemoon May 2nd, 2008 03:23 PM

When I interviewed my midwife she hadn't had any transfers. But she admitted it was artificially low because she hadn't been practicing midwifery very long. I believe she had at least one transfer during my pregnancy.

My midwives with my other babies seemed to have about 5-10% transfer rates and mostly for 1st time moms wanting medication.

LaLa May 2nd, 2008 09:29 PM

I agree it does seem high - I would ask for a breakdown.

It coudl easily have to do with strict state guidelines - I know the MW here had a 10% transport rate overall, but it was 20% for first time moms. Too often they risked out - the state enforces timelines for everything right down to how long you can labor with your water broken, etc.

Lala...

Twinkle May 4th, 2008 11:54 AM

My midwives have a 6% transfer rate, all but 1-2% are for non-emergency situations, like a long labor and the mom wanting medications. According to my midwives, they have a 1-2% transfer rate for emergency situations, most commonly being hemorrhaging mommies, or breathing difficulties with the infant.

littlebabydolly May 7th, 2008 07:24 PM

Thank you ladies for all your responses! I ended up finding a midwife with a lower rate. Somehow I felt that the higher rate meant that they didn't help put you in the mindset that you can really do this! The lady I choose seemed much more confidant about natural unmedicated birth as well as lots of experience with different birth presentations if that so happens.

I did interview another lady today too that also said that the transfer rate was mostly for pain meds but also because a lot of women over 40 are being attracted to home birth now making statistics a little different for their cases.