JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   GBS and a home birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1047812-gbs-and-home-birth.html)

andi2284 May 2nd, 2008 03:13 PM

Another quick question, anyone have a home birth with GBS? I was positive with DD and endured the antibiotics in my labor. I HATED it. They burned the entire time they were going in and it was miserable considering I was in the most active phase of labor. I've done a little research on it so far, to know that it can colonize and then you'll test positive for it again. The OB I saw (nurse actually), for my first appointment said they would automatically give me antibiotics during labor because I was positive for it before. I 100% disgree with that, maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be better to just do the test again? I would rather avoid the antibiotics (and the thrush I got as a result of them) altogether if I can, rather than just assume and treat when it could be unnecessary. Do most midwives do the GBS test and if you test positive, what are you options?

Butter May 2nd, 2008 03:49 PM

Some do, some don't. My MW offers the test. I decline. She can't give antibiotics in labor anyway (against the law here, it's different in other states). I take garlic, vitamin C, and acidophilus, all of which help prevent colonization.

*Vero* May 2nd, 2008 03:55 PM

My midwife offered to test for it... I accepted the test... I accepted the antibiotics and then declined them in labour! lol there was 2 failed attempt at getting the IV in and I asked them to just give up.. lol I was in really active labour by then and just wanted to enjoy the break between contractions!! My water didn't break until it was broken for me during pushing... (when the head was just about out already) so she is pretty safe from it... only thing my midwife asked was that I bathe her within 6 hours to reduce the risks... so I gently washed her down with a face cloth...

Tash May 3rd, 2008 02:04 PM

I was wondering about this too, thanks ladies.

shadowdweller May 3rd, 2008 05:39 PM

my mw offers the test. i haven't decided whether or not to accept...i haven't even asked her about it yet. maybe i should on thursday.

^RaineDrop^ May 3rd, 2008 10:14 PM

My midwife was going to test me for it and she, like some, even has IV's at her house, but either way I don't care. Even if I tested positive I would refuse antibiotics, but I've been looking for good things to do/take to prevent and help clear it up if I DID, and the garlic thing is a good idea. Hibiclens also kills the bacteria. I was told you can literally shove garlic up in there and leave it there for 24 hours it also kills the bacteria. I'm going to personally try the Hibiclens first lol.