JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   ..But what if something happens? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1053435-but-what-if-something-happens.html)

andi2284 May 6th, 2008 12:32 PM

I knew I would run into this, and in the time that I've been researching and considering a home birth, I've tried to think of a good response to this question. In my mind, from what I know, I have no doubt I will be in good hands with a midwife. If something happens, a sudden emergency, I have confidence that my midwife will be able to diagnose that there is a problem and take quick action to be sure both me and the baby make it through the delivery healthy and safe. Unfortunately, that is the first thing that everyone says when mentioning a home birth. "What if there is an emergency?" I can run over the many different answers in my head, starting with midwives will be sure you are having an uncomplicated, healthy pregnancy, I always have the option to switch if I feel my midwife isn't diagnosing problems (doubtful that would happen though), and in labor, help is only a phone call away. I also know midwives carry plenty of equipement with them to use if needed and are very well trained, many started as OB nurses or have worked in hospitals prior to training in midwifery.
Am I on track here? How do you respond to that question? Unfortunately, I will still have those that completely doubt me and the whole process, which I will have to have a thick skin about (I have had to in every other aspect of my parenting). I just want to be able to respond in a way that will help people understand that the whole process is far from "dangerous".

Butter May 6th, 2008 01:36 PM

"That's what hospitals are for."

Alison79 May 6th, 2008 04:14 PM

I just said that I had the utmost confidence that my midwife would take excellent care of both me and the baby.

inyourhonor May 6th, 2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

"That's what hospitals are for."[/b]
That has been my response for everyone who questioned our choice of a home birth.

MrsPil May 6th, 2008 11:03 PM

My best response is "like what?" because it opens the door to educate, and to show that you know your stuff. It's how I started with my mom who ended up being my biggest supporter.

Isaeph May 7th, 2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

My best response is "like what?" because it opens the door to educate, and to show that you know your stuff. It's how I started with my mom who ended up being my biggest supporter.[/b]
ITA...although my mom is NOT my biggest supporter. :lol:

What would happen if you went into labor in the middle of a terrible snowstorm and NO one could come or go? Mom and baby don't automatically die just because delivery takes place at home, kwim? I hate it when people that don't know what they are talking about try to talk an educated person out of their educated decision.

littlebabydolly May 7th, 2008 05:45 PM

Short of a surgeons table and knife, midwifes are incredibly prepared. I wasn't even fully aware how prepared they are going into this journey to home birth. They carry IV's, oxygen, tubes to help breathing, pictocin for hemorrhaging, suturing supplies and are fully trained in resuscitation. One of the midwifes I interviewed even gave me an article on the safety of home birth to give to family members with questions. It looks like it's an article from Henri Goer and there is a url at the bottom, www.parentsplace.com/expert/birthguru ... so maybe you can find this article to print out too!

ragmama May 7th, 2008 08:57 PM

Here's my favorite article for ya:

But What If...?

;)

andi2284 May 11th, 2008 05:34 PM

I can't get the first article to come up, the other one is great, thanks mama!

Redifer May 13th, 2008 12:41 PM

I never got to homebirth with my kiddos like I wanted, but I had planned on it for both of them.

I always used: "I don't call an ambulance on my way out the door whenever I leave the house, 'in case something happens'... "

That usually gets them to think a little more about what they just said.

*threesweetpeas* May 14th, 2008 06:55 AM

I would love to have a home birth...this is all really interesting stuff...I was always curious to know "What if" myself ....

Pyrodjm May 14th, 2008 04:07 PM

My answer is simple, if there is an emergency that can't be handled at home, we call 911 and go to a hospital. That's the only way I end up in one.

Melui May 16th, 2008 05:19 PM

my last pregnancy (in england) my midwife actually suggested homebirth to me - as my labours are very short and it would be safer to have midwife coming to me with equipment - than me tryting to find childcare, get myself into hospital etc and end up having baby parked on the road?
Also in england a home birth means you have 2 midwives at your house (1 for you and 1 for baby) - in hospital you might have 1 midwife overseeing 3 or more labouring women in seperate rooms so having dedicated midwives for you must be safer? (i know its different over here).