JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Induction at 42 weeks (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1053640-induction-42-weeks.html)

mommytutu May 6th, 2008 03:27 PM

I talked to my midwife briefly about this. She seemed to not want to talk about it at this point because I am so early on and who knows if I will go overdue. I pressed the issue a bit, and she simply walked me through what would happen if I went overdue (or if I decided to or need to be transfered to the hospital during labor) Who would be there as support, and how post-partum care would go. I love my midwife. She is great, and I trust her a lot, but I also understand that she is bound by certain laws that allow her to practice.

I was induced at 41 weeks with DD, and had a horrible experience. I do not want to be induced, and I do not want a hospital birth unless absolutely necessary - meaning something is life-threatening.

I am worried that I will go overdue again, and short of natural induction methods - which I will give a try once I hit 40 weeks - I am not sure how to avoid being induced. If I refuse to be induced will my midwife still be legally allowed to deliver me at home? I am open to an unassisted home birth, but DF is wary about it and would likely want me to be induced instead of doing that. I might be able to change his mind, but I'm not counting on that.

I plan on talking to my midwife about this in more depth at my next appointment.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or personal experiences?

Butter May 6th, 2008 03:31 PM

At this point I wouldn't stress. They induced you one day before the AVERAGE for first time moms. If they had given you a few more days chances are very good you would have delivered just fine on your own. I went over by 10 days with Fritz (my third, and latest) and my midwife was very supportive and everything and told me that 99% of her moms deliver before the 42 week mark and those that don't just need extra time. My midwife is also willing to fudge dates ;)

Alison79 May 6th, 2008 05:12 PM

I had a home birth at 42w 3d, my water finally broke on its own. I also asked what would happen if I went past 42 weeks at our initial meeting and she went over her protocol which included a biophysical profile to check on the baby and placenta every few days after the 42 week mark. I had my first three children in the hospital (all induced) so I was worried about what would happen if I didn't go into labor on my own. I think your plan is a good one, talk to her in depth about what happens after 42 weeks and I bet you will feel a lot more at ease.

mommytutu May 8th, 2008 12:16 PM

Thanks ladies. Heather, I think my midwife might be willing to fudge my dates a bit if it comes to that, but I doubt that is something she would come right out with and say at our first meeting. Heh..

I am still concerned about it, but I'm going to try to put it in the back of my mind for a while. After all, I could be worrying for nothing. I'm just dreading the thought of another hospital birth, and even worse, a hospital birth with an OB who I have never met before in my life. Ugh.

Isaeph May 8th, 2008 03:34 PM

You could look into accupuncture if the time comes. I know a lot of women swear by it. But definitely don't worry too much about it just yet.

4boys May 19th, 2008 08:22 PM

You sound exactly like me a few months ago!! I was also induced past 42 weeks with my third son and had a terrible experience, one that I desperately wanted to avoid with my fourth. And by law where I am, I couldn't have a home birth if I went past 42 weeks. So I was really stressing about it. During my last month of pregnancy, I drank a pot of raspberry leaf tea every day, took 4 evening primrose oil capsules a day (I upped it to 6 a day for the last two weeks), kept up with exercise 3 times a week and avoided sugar as much as possible. At 40 weeks + 4 days I was having lots of irregular Braxton Hicks contractions and so I took 1 tbsp of castor oil to "see what happens". I woke up with contractions that night and had my baby the next day. I don't know what to credit with that success; probably mostly the evening primrose oil, but I was determined to do everything I could to encourage my body to do it's thing, and it worked!

Good luck, I hope things work out for you!! And I totally understand you worrying about it already; I worried about it from day one as well!

dzt66 May 20th, 2008 02:48 PM

This was my biggest fear with a home birth. I was also induced at 41 weeks with my first two births (which i now think was not necessary). I also started drinking the raspberry leaf tea around 36 weeks and around 38 weeks I started the evening primrose oil (orally and vaginally). I walked a lot and DH and I got real close at the end ;). Blake was born at 40 wks, 5 days. Good luck and try not to stress about it!!!

Kelllilee May 21st, 2008 05:21 AM

going "late' with one doesn't mean the next will be late ;) my first came at 41w1d and my second came right on her due date.

I'd definitely wager that you would have done just fine and gone into labor within a few days had they not induced you.

ragmama May 21st, 2008 07:44 AM

Good luck, sweetie. I was getting terribly nervous as week 42 approached with my second DD, as I had been induced - a rotten experience - with my first. I had tried castor oil at 40 weeks with my first and it didn't work, so I hesitated to try it again...but I did, at 41w 4d, and it got things moving in a hurry. I had been drinking raspberry leaf tea and taking EPO as well.