JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   HBAC...anyone? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1102356-hbac-anyone.html)

NewMama06 June 9th, 2008 08:26 AM

Hi everyone! I am new to this board (but not to JM) and although we aren't ttc yet (but will be very soon) I am so strongly feeling pulled to have a home birth after my somewhat horrible, traumatic hospital birth two years ago (c-section after 20 hours of labour, with a general anaesthetic) - thankfully babe and I easily and quickly bonded, and he nursed like a champ from the start, but the birth itself was everything I didn't want. Now I have researched like a madwoman for two years, but after contacting our midwife's office they seem VERY reluctant about supporting an HBAC and I am not sure what to do here. I am in Canada, so likely our "rules" are a bit different. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'm all ears!!! Thanks girls!!!

Butter June 9th, 2008 08:38 AM

Are there other midwives you can talk to? Some are not comfortable with HBACs while others are. My midwives do HBACs and in fact the main one had an HBAC herself for her second baby.

_Brandy_ June 9th, 2008 10:03 AM

I am sure if you keep looking you will find a midwife that will agree. As far as I know there are no "rules" against it.

I know that many midwives in areas that are not allowed to attend hbac will say they can't. Those moms will be adamant and will play a game with the midwife, like invite her for "tea"...

NewMama06 June 9th, 2008 10:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. The administrator at the office that I contacted stated that she only knew of one midwife in the practice that may be willing to "consider" it, but if she was at another birth when I went into labour that I would have to go to the hospital. I am really uncomfortable with that option. I'm just not quite sure what to do. I know without a doubt I will be staying at home as long as humanly possible this time (last time my water broke at 37 weeks and I didn't know what to do - so we went straight to the hospital before I even had a single contraction :rolleyes:). My DH is very peaceful and non-confrontational, so to help me ensure that no drugs are administered / no unnecessary internals / no unnecessary monitoring take place I will have to find a very understanding and assertive doula. I would really just prefer to birth at home, I fear going back to the hospital will result in a lot of things I would like to avoid, obviously and especially another c-section.

inyourhonor June 9th, 2008 12:36 PM

I completely understand how you are feeling. My first birth was far from ideal. It ended in a c-section that was unnecessary after 23 hours of labor and 1 1/2 hours of pushing. They decided they needed to take him.

I am having an HBAC. I am in Michigan though, but the town I live in is very anti-vbac. I had to do my own searching and I finally found a home birth midwife who said I was a good candidate.

See if you can't find anyone else. Even meet with that midwife and talk to her if you can, but keep options open if possible, by keeping options open, I mean searching online. Thats how I found mine.

I never want to go back to a hospital. I wish you the best and hope things work out for you!