JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   cord question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1118952-cord-question.html)

booboobunny June 20th, 2008 09:46 AM

I hear alot of woman on are UC homebirth are tying the cord with shoelaces, floss, or thread . I'm curious on how you do this ? Anyone have info on this please share. I plan on delaying cord cutting and i don't want to use the cord clamps. i'm just wanting some other alternative routes.

Isaeph June 21st, 2008 02:52 PM

We're going to learn how to tie a better knot this time, but we used a shoelace. I read that using something thin like floss or string is not a good idea because it can just cut through the cord. We didn't cut dd's for 45ish minutes, but I don't think we tied it tight enough because a few hours later I noticed some blood had oozed out.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori June 21st, 2008 04:38 PM

I have no idea, but I wanted to say that my dd's cord was tied with a shoe lace. It was not planned, but my midwife did not make it to the birth, so the nurse had to use what she had at the time.

~Jackie June 22nd, 2008 06:55 PM

Why is the clamp not used?

ragmama June 22nd, 2008 07:58 PM

I had never thought of this...I assumed most UC'ers would order a birth kit and use the clamps. But a shoelace does sound better than something thin like floss.

Knowing me, I'd use yarn. :P

Isaeph June 22nd, 2008 09:55 PM

I really hate the clamps because they seem so bulky and always end up poking my babies.

Willowkarr June 23rd, 2008 12:42 PM

Not sure, there are clamps in our kit, however, we are planning a Lotus Birth so even those won't be required, lol. I agree that the shoelace sounds like a better option than floss or thin strings like that.

^RaineDrop^ June 24th, 2008 12:41 AM

I always wondered what one was to do with the cord at a home birth :lol: Who knows what I'd use if I had gone unassisted before reading this!

LaLa June 24th, 2008 01:18 AM

We only ended up delaying by about 20 mins... and we didnt use any kind of clamp. lol.

It really didnt need it - so we just let it be. It was maybe 1 1/2 inches long, no big deal :)

Lala...

booboobunny June 24th, 2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

I really hate the clamps because they seem so bulky and always end up poking my babies.[/b]
Ditto ... this is why i'm looking for other options !

Isaeph June 24th, 2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

We only ended up delaying by about 20 mins... and we didnt use any kind of clamp. lol.

It really didnt need it - so we just let it be. It was maybe 1 1/2 inches long, no big deal :)

Lala...[/b]
Wow, really? And it didn't ooze any blood later? Maybe we'll go without then.

LaLa June 24th, 2008 11:45 PM

Nope, no oozing, no nothing. A day or two later we trimmed it down a little shorter, but it was just fine lol.

The pediatrician freaked out, but then I think that had more to do with the fact we had a homebirth & refused to take her to the ER for a hep b shot lol.

Lala...