JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Do you think you'll have a fast labor? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1254011-do-you-think-you-ll-have-fast-labor.html)

thepinkleprechaun September 27th, 2008 03:47 PM

My chiropractor made the comment the other day that my labor will probably be much faster since I'm having a homebirth. I was like....well I guess it will be super fast then! Last time it was 10 hours total, and that is pretty darn amazing considering everything involved (only 37 weeks, magnesium combined with pit, 1st time mom, etc).

I'm thinking I'll call my midwife the second I feel a strong contraction! There is a mama in our local AP group that just had her homebirth, and she said she had her first strong contraction and the baby was born TWO HOURS later!

Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy September 27th, 2008 06:55 PM

I can't imagine fast after having a 31 hour labor but they gave me pitocin in the hospital and wouldn't let me walk. Is there any way to make a fast labor? Staying active in pregnancy?

Mommy2Amara&Kayori September 27th, 2008 09:34 PM

For my first birth, my water was leaking so they induced me, I was forced to stay in bed and it lasted 25 hours from the time my water started leaking

for my home birth my water broke and I had my baby 5 hours later, I didn't do much walking or anything, but I was way more relaxed and wasn't being forced to have my baby

CameraLinds September 28th, 2008 01:45 AM

Honestly I have no idea....since this is baby numbero uno for me. I've heard that labor lengths are somewhat genetic...I was baby #1 for my mom and her labor was about 8 hours or so. I'm thinking guessing mine may be around 12-14 hours? I have no clue. Anyone got any ideas or guesses? Or ways to tell whether or not you'll have a short or long labor? (I read somewhere before about how much you sleep in the 3rd trimester influences your labor length...the more you sleep the shorter the labor and the less you slept the longer, this makes sense cause if you're tired it's harder and takes longer to get the baby out)

thepinkleprechaun September 28th, 2008 07:30 AM

I think with home births in general labor is shorter, even for 1st time moms. You are in your OWN environment, you can deal with the contractions without the added stress of being in the hospital and having to deal with annoying doctors and nurses, etc.

A lot of women progress very quickly and just fine on their own, but as soon as they get to the hospital their labor stalls. Then of course you just HAVE to have pitocin...and it goes downhill from there.

UrbanMomma September 28th, 2008 09:22 AM

My first baby was 28 hours, my 2nd was 32 hrs (really big baby 10 1/2 pounds and shoulder dystocia). All my babies since then (minus the two csections) have been less than 7-8 hours.

Twinkle September 28th, 2008 12:32 PM

Well, my homebirth labor started on a tuesday and ended at 1:48am on a friday. Kinda long... LOL. But with that being said, the HARD part of labor lasted less than 3 hours.

cre8tivem September 28th, 2008 04:45 PM

Both of mine have been Home Births. My first was 21 hours total (8 hours active) my second was MUCH faster. I never even had time to feel ready, at 3 in the morning I was uncomfortable. I had some contractions starting at 4, at about 4:30 I thought that I might be in labor, and the baby was born at 6:30AM. So about 1 1/2 hours active labor, 2 1/2 from "maybe" to "baby".

inyourhonor September 28th, 2008 05:46 PM

Hm, I'm not sure. I've heard that as well but I don't know how much to really go off of it. My first was a 23 hour labor and more then likely was going to be longer but they took him by section. It would have been longer because he was posterior.

I hope it's quicker but not that quick.

MrsPil October 1st, 2008 01:37 AM

Nope, I had a long labor and while I wouldn't mind a shorter one I really feel like my body needs the time to do its thing.

Britt October 1st, 2008 03:44 PM

I have a feeling mine will last less than 10 hours. We shall see though! I don't want it to go TOO fast-- We'll need to get the birthing pool ready! haha

ragmama October 3rd, 2008 09:00 PM

There's no way to know for sure, but it's fun to speculate. :smile:

My home birth was definitely faster than with my first daughter - of course, she was born in a hospital, which meant Pitocin and strapped to a bed. <_< It was 15 1/2 hours with her (from the time of induction), and 7 1/2 (from the first good contraction) with Amelia. Maybe a combo of second child and home birth? Not sure, but that was a great time frame for me. :smile:

booboobunny October 5th, 2008 06:05 PM

My first labor was 21 hours. But i keep getting this feeling that this labor will be a lot and faster and take us by surprise. I'm thinking because this time will be a lot different since this isn't my first baby. I'm more informed, i will be in my own environment, i will start doing exercises to make sure the baby is in the right position, and i won't have a lot of company around who could possibly hinder my labor !

justjaQ October 6th, 2008 08:21 PM

i know that i'll have a fast labour. and i can't wait.

my first child was born at 38 weeks, in exactly 2 hours, 22 minutes (at a horrible hospital, unfortunately). he was 8-4, and i was 19, so i was kind of surprised. my mother's labour with me (firstborn) was 20-some hours, and i was expecting that for myself. i was asleep, when the first contraction hit, and when i opened my eyes, the first thing i saw was 9:40 on the clock in front of me. by 11:50, i was 6 cm, and several contractions later, i was pushing. my son was born two minutes after noon.

my second labour consisted of several hours of almost painless, crampy-feeling contractions at 36.5 weeks, followed by the breaking of my water and pitocin @ 5 cm (!@*$&#% morons knew how quickly i had gone the first time, but yep, i HAD to have the pitocin, so that my doctor could fit me in before he went to lunch. no kidding.), and 30 minutes of very sudden, *hard* labour (thank you, pitocin :rolleyes:), before she was out. 7 lb. 10.5 oz.

both were so fast, i never had time for any sort of pain relief, so i'm very confident in my ability to birth at home, without the option of drugs.

so, #3, when i should get pregnant again, will be born at home in the tub, if i have anything to say about it, and hopefully it'll be the quickest of the three, since i'll actually be "allowed" to move around and do things to progress even quicker. :smile:

cheezpoofs October 7th, 2008 04:37 PM

I'm guessing I won't have a fast labor from beginning of first stage to end of third. No real reason. Just a guess.

DoulaMama October 8th, 2008 02:12 PM

I'm thinking positively of a plesent length labor- I'd like less then 10 hours- only half that of real active labor.

Radish4ever October 23rd, 2008 12:36 AM

My first labor was 42 hours long....... I labored at home and also at the birth center........ after 30 hours, I transferred to the hospital and ended up with a C/S.......

With my HOMEbirth VBAC, my labor was LESS than 5 hours from when I woke up until I had my son! It was fabulous.