JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Plans for the placenta? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1292297-plans-for-placenta.html)

inyourhonor October 28th, 2008 06:27 PM

What do you plan on doing with the placenta?

I know some people cook it and eat it, others cook it and make pills and then some plant it. We plan on freezing it then planting it with a tree when the ground thaws.

tobynscarlett October 28th, 2008 10:00 PM

I am planning to do a "Tree of Life" print with mine. It is kind of like a stamp on a piece of paper- you use the actal placenta to make the "leaves" and the cord will make the print of the "trunk". It is kind of hard to visualize but you can google "tree of life print" or "placenta print" and get a better idea. It's really neat because no one would ever guess what it is unless you told them. All of my friends (and my DH) think I am crazy but my midwife is WAYYY excited to help me do it. I am the first person that has ever requested it from her and she has always wanted to make one. I think it is a really neat way to remember this birth (my third since 2006).

*** also, FYI, you aren't supposed to plant anything when you plant anything when you first plant the placenta. You are supposed to wait a year because the placenta is so loaded with nutrients it could kill whatever you plant. It would make a neat first birthday ceremony to plant a tree with friends and family.

~Jackie October 29th, 2008 05:21 AM

My MW will probably take it like she did last time and plant a tree :D

inyourhonor October 29th, 2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

I am planning to do a "Tree of Life" print with mine. It is kind of like a stamp on a piece of paper- you use the actal placenta to make the "leaves" and the cord will make the print of the "trunk". It is kind of hard to visualize but you can google "tree of life print" or "placenta print" and get a better idea. It's really neat because no one would ever guess what it is unless you told them. All of my friends (and my DH) think I am crazy but my midwife is WAYYY excited to help me do it. I am the first person that has ever requested it from her and she has always wanted to make one. I think it is a really neat way to remember this birth (my third since 2006).

*** also, FYI, you aren't supposed to plant anything when you plant anything when you first plant the placenta. You are supposed to wait a year because the placenta is so loaded with nutrients it could kill whatever you plant. It would make a neat first birthday ceremony to plant a tree with friends and family.[/b]
Thanks for letting me know. I want to wait since we don't own our house, so it could be more then a year before it comes out of the freezer. Once we own it, then I think we'll plant it and it could be more then a year before our house is offered up to us.

Isaeph October 29th, 2008 09:26 AM

I'm encapsulating it. I had some depression issues after dd was born (ppd and situational) and I don't want to feel like again, and I don't want to put a bunch of chemicals in my body and the baby's either.

Sk8ermaiden October 29th, 2008 09:53 AM

We are definitely encapsulating. A good friend actually offered to do it for me. :blink: I might take her up on it.

thepinkleprechaun October 29th, 2008 05:32 PM

We're encapsulating it. I'm going to put it in the oven to dry it out and then my midwife said she has a capsulator so she'll help me out with that once it's dry. I think I also had PPD for a loooong time after Aden was born, I have problems with depression in the first place but I only just started taking medication for it before I got pregnant and I had to stop.

CameraLinds October 30th, 2008 10:54 PM

Just having our midwife dispose of it....can't come to encapsulating it and taking it (I know it's good for PPD and loaded with nutrients, just can't come around to doing/taking it :ph34r: )

momof3&travis October 31st, 2008 07:26 AM

i'm encapsulating it also . i also suffer from anxitey / panic, which sets it PPD so i want to be ready. DH said he'd dry it out and capsul it, but trying to see if midwife would help the sooner after the better!

inyourhonor October 31st, 2008 09:16 AM

I suffer from depression and have for years and I tend to get bad PPD. I've read up on encapsulating the placenta I just don't think I could.

So far I've managed my depression pretty well.

DoulaMama October 31st, 2008 03:03 PM

I'm going to do a print (of blood not paint) and also encapsulate it.

booboobunny November 3rd, 2008 04:40 PM

i'm going to freeze it. i'm not sure if we want to plant it or use to help ppd !