JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   My home birth dillemma (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1311829-my-home-birth-dillemma.html)

electriclids November 13th, 2008 08:52 AM

Hi All! I'm new to this board and was very happy to see there was a home birth forum.
DH and I are still TTC, but of course I have to research everything and over analyze way before the time comes. LOL
The more I research, and read, the more I really really want to have a home birth and/or water birth. The problem is, I called my insurance carrier, and asked about coverage of midwives. They DO cover midwives, but none in the area take my insurance! Grrr. I live in Henderson, NV, which is the outskirts of Las Vegas. You'd think a big town like this would have a lot, but there are hardly any! We're not very progressive in that way, which is very disappointing to me.
To have a midwife in my area, I would have a $500 deductible, and after that they only cover 60% (while if I go to the hospital, it's 80% covered and not such a big deductible). That's hard for me because DH and I are stable financially at this point, but at the same time I cannot afford huge medical bills. KWIM?

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not sure how much money something like this costs in the first place.
Do you all think it's worth having the medical bills? I'm so afraid of overwhelming bills that will stack up.
Is it even possible to have a positive hospital experience?? I've heard so many horror stories that I'm kind of freaking out (already!).

Any advice would be so awesome!
Thanks!

mamatanya November 13th, 2008 10:07 AM

Home births in my area are only about $3000. I say that it is well worth the expense and I am more than happy to pay for a homebirth. I had a hospital birth with my first and that was not so much fun. I'd get pregnant over and over again just to experience the joys of laboring at home. The empowerment, the feeling of control, of being a strong woman, the spirituality that I feel, all of it is SO great. At home nothing is taken away from me. At the hospital everything was taken away.

inyourhonor November 13th, 2008 12:03 PM

I would call around to your home birth midwives and ask what their charging rates are. My midwife has a sliding scale based on income. She can range from $1,200 to $2,100. Ours was $1,860. I don't think I've ever heard of a home birth midwife who charged anymore then $5,000.

My sons hospital birth total was over $20,000 and here I am paying 1800 out of pocket. So far with my experience with my midwife, I'm so happy. The care I had with an OB, eh. He was an ok doctor, but the way things ended up, I'm glad to be going the home birth route.

Call around and set up some meetings to have a meet and greet. Find out their policies, how they work and everything.

Good luck!