JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   I guess I won't be getting my home birth after all (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1380604-i-guess-i-won-t-getting-my-home-birth-after-all.html)

Wintersong January 6th, 2009 11:05 AM

I spoke to a midwife yesterday who told me that home birth isn't covered on medical insurance - something to do with a loophole in the law which means that the payment goes to the supervising obgyn rather than the midwife. The long and short of it is that a home birth would cost us about $3500, which we simply can't afford.

I'm so bummed and I just don't know where to go from here :cry:

justjaQ January 6th, 2009 11:19 AM

i am so, so, soooo sorry, honey! i wish home births were covered everywhere, it seems like such a basic thing, and it's cheaper. my heart breaks for you.

Martina January 6th, 2009 08:54 PM

here we have to pay for our homebirths (well for midwives) though they will soon fund it, so I might get some money back, this will be my 3rd birth that I have to pay for!!! It sucks!

Alison79 January 6th, 2009 09:29 PM

I'm so sorry. I have to pay out of pocket for this birth as well. It's frustrating that insurance companies don't pay for midwifery care when it's typically so much cheaper!

wifey2kevin January 7th, 2009 07:46 AM

we too have to pay for ours. i know my midwife will work out a plan for you to pay monthly or whatever works best. is your midwife willing to do something like that?? *****HUGS*****

Mommy2Amara&Kayori January 7th, 2009 01:22 PM

(((HUGS)))

inyourhonor January 8th, 2009 04:27 PM

My husbands boss doesn't offer insurance so I had ot use medicaid. We decided to then do a home birth and Michigan Medicaid won't cover them. So we paid out of pocket. My midwife has a sliding scale and since we were eligible for medicaid we were on the lower end of her payscale. She let us pay whenever we could at whatever amount we could. We were paid off 2 weeks before I was due.

I'm so sorry you're not gtting the home birth you want. I wish things could work out for you!

Wintersong January 10th, 2009 02:00 PM

Thanks, everyone :) I'm going to look into birthing centres that are covered by our insurance and, if they're not acceptable (if indeed they even exist!) we're going to have to come up with some way to pay because there is just no way I'm going back to a hospital for this birth. I guess I'll start off seeing my obgyn until I have it figured out :)

Butterfly2009 January 10th, 2009 09:27 PM

you can shop around for another midwife, or ask her if she has a payment option. I know some judge their prices of the homebirth on each couples income. so its something they can afford.

Wintersong January 12th, 2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

you can shop around for another midwife, or ask her if she has a payment option. I know some judge their prices of the homebirth on each couples income. so its something they can afford.[/b]
Yeah - she *does* vary her rates dependent on what people can afford. The main problem with us is that, right now, we CAN afford it and it would be unethical of us to pretend that we can't to try to get it cheaper. BUT dh is in a position where he's very likely to be out of work for a year after the baby is born, so we need to save every penny we can. It's a strange situation - we can afford it, but we can't if you kwim.