JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   btdt mama's (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1412614-btdt-mama-s.html)

Xx3Xy0 January 28th, 2009 01:59 AM

What motivated you through your labor? What was it you focused your mind/heart on to help you through your labor? Did you use candles and music? Pictures? Hypnosis? What was the main thing that kept you focused when labor got intense?

I've read about a couple different things, but I'm wondering what worked for other mama's. What did you try/use that wasn't in books but just seemed like 'this should be common sense' to you?

kimberlypatton@msn.com January 28th, 2009 06:32 AM

You know, that's a REALLY good question. I think the answer will be totally different for each person too! :-)

The things I read that would help totally went out the window and I did what just came naturally to me during intense moments. Actually throughout my entire labor and birth of my first baby (just from transition on) I kept my eyes closed and focused only on releasing every muscle in my body so that I wouldn't tense up and so that my uterus could do it's job without interference. I opened my eyes only once and was completely distracted and freaked out to have my midwives/husband all gathered 'round, watching me...so back to closed eyes. I liked silence and quiet voices if talking needed to be done. I made sure to do cleansing breaths before and after my contractions and just focused, focused, focused on the whole realease of my body. It takes a lot of mind control and practice (active practice) on realeasing your every muscle and not tensing. Tensing up causes pain. I have had 3 pain free births. NOt to say they were easy peasy...it's the HARDEST thing I've ever done, but it was quiet, and working, and not painful in an OUCH sort of sense. My next two births were exactly the same w/much shorter pushing times and I was able to do what I needed to do with my eyes open for more of it. I do totally focus INWARDLY though...music would have been a distraction. Candles would have meant nothing to me. Quiet was everything to me...not being touched was everything to me...not having people staring at me is a big big thing for me! ha ha. Hope some of this helps.

I say READ UP, ask questions etc. BUT when you're in labor you'll find your own groove and you'll throw out what doesn't work for you and you WILL find what does. Just remember to RELAX and RELEASE. Release your body to do it's job without your interference. That's the BEST advice I can give you.

Radish4ever January 28th, 2009 07:03 AM

For me it was going into my bathroom (no lights, SMALL room) and laboring on the toilet.... Trying different positions helped a lot too! I also delivered in a squatting/all fours position on my bed and didn't tear with my 10lb1ozer ;)

Mommy2Amara&Kayori January 28th, 2009 08:08 AM

I watched the show funnest home videos through most of my labor, then at the very end it was just holding my SO's hands and being told I was doing great and to keep going

Isaeph January 29th, 2009 04:52 PM

With dd it was the desire/necessity to not wake my son (almost 3) and my mom (grr..she woke up about 20 minutes before the birth). With ds2, gosh...the first 3 days were nothing (long darn labor)...I knew that after a minute or two I'd have another 10 with no contractions. On baby day, I did really well until the last 2 hours. My goal then was not to freak the kids out (5 & 2) since it was just the 3 of us at home. When dh got home, I lost some of my inner strength because I knew I could count on him and I cried a lot the last two hours. I shouldn't have though, it made things very difficult on him and freaked him out. Next time I'll probably try to labor alone as long as possible and call him to the room when the baby is coming. I'm not very good at focusing or channeling or meditating or anything like that.

Kelllilee January 29th, 2009 09:53 PM

though not a HB, with my first the weirdest thing helped me lol

I had to have someone (my mom or DH) rub thier fingertips rhythmically on my belly during contractions. It gave me a physical focal point. That and just talking to myself and reminding myself everything was normal and to relax.

cre8tivem January 30th, 2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

You know, that's a REALLY good question. I think the answer will be totally different for each person too! :-)

The things I read that would help totally went out the window and I did what just came naturally to me during intense moments. Actually throughout my entire labor and birth of my first baby (just from transition on) I kept my eyes closed and focused only on releasing every muscle in my body so that I wouldn't tense up and so that my uterus could do it's job without interference. I opened my eyes only once and was completely distracted and freaked out to have my midwives/husband all gathered 'round, watching me...so back to closed eyes. I liked silence and quiet voices if talking needed to be done. I made sure to do cleansing breaths before and after my contractions and just focused, focused, focused on the whole realease of my body. It takes a lot of mind control and practice (active practice) on realeasing your every muscle and not tensing. Tensing up causes pain. I have had 3 pain free births. NOt to say they were easy peasy...it's the HARDEST thing I've ever done, but it was quiet, and working, and not painful in an OUCH sort of sense. My next two births were exactly the same w/much shorter pushing times and I was able to do what I needed to do with my eyes open for more of it. I do totally focus INWARDLY though...music would have been a distraction. Candles would have meant nothing to me. Quiet was everything to me...not being touched was everything to me...not having people staring at me is a big big thing for me! ha ha. Hope some of this helps.

I say READ UP, ask questions etc. BUT when you're in labor you'll find your own groove and you'll throw out what doesn't work for you and you WILL find what does. Just remember to RELAX and RELEASE. Release your body to do it's job without your interference. That's the BEST advice I can give you.[/b]
Ditto! I spent most of my first labor from transistion on with my eyes closed and concentrating on relaxing each of my muscles and breathing. However, with my second birth she came so quickly that I never really got a handle on my breathing and spent most of the time "coaching" myself out loud :blush: like " relax, relax, you have to relax, no don't clench your fists, just breath, OMG I'm not ready for this, no focus! relax, you have to remember to breath" So it really depends on the labor I think.
Melissa

Alison79 January 30th, 2009 04:32 PM

I thinking hearing my birth team (midwives, DH, Mom) telling me I was doing a good job was the best pain reliever. They would help remind me to relax and let the tension in my body go. We had a really good dynamic.

kimberlypatton@msn.com January 30th, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

though not a HB, with my first the weirdest thing helped me lol

I had to have someone (my mom or DH) rub thier fingertips rhythmically on my belly during contractions. It gave me a physical focal point. That and just talking to myself and reminding myself everything was normal and to relax.[/b]
That's called EFFLEURAGE I think. I have read "THANK YOU, DR. LAMAZE" by Marjorie Karmel before each of my births and I HIGHLY recommend it to EVERY pregnant woman. Anyhow, one of the laboring helps WAS exactly as you described only the woman was trained to do it to herself. Interesting.

Smashley January 30th, 2009 06:26 PM

MamaFish January 31st, 2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

...I kept my eyes closed and focused only on releasing every muscle in my body so that I wouldn't tense up and so that my uterus could do it's job without interference... I liked silence and quiet voices if talking needed to be done... and just focused, focused, focused on the whole realease of my body. It takes a lot of mind control and practice (active practice) on realeasing your every muscle and not tensing. Tensing up causes pain. I have had 3 pain free births. NOt to say they were easy peasy...it's the HARDEST thing I've ever done, but it was quiet, and working, and not painful in an OUCH sort of sense. My next two births were exactly the same w/much shorter pushing times and I was able to do what I needed to do with my eyes open for more of it. I do totally focus INWARDLY though...music would have been a distraction. Candles would have meant nothing to me. Quiet was everything to me...not being touched was everything to me...not having people staring at me is a big big thing for me! ha ha. Hope some of this helps.

I say READ UP, ask questions etc. BUT when you're in labor you'll find your own groove and you'll throw out what doesn't work for you and you WILL find what does. Just remember to RELAX and RELEASE. Release your body to do it's job without your interference. That's the BEST advice I can give you.[/b]
Wow! This is me. People talking don't bother me, but I can't stand a radio or tv. And I don't want to be touched! It is too distracting.

My first birth was very easy, I'll admit. The second was, too. Before my third birth I read "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" and what an incredible difference it made. I did not "do" any of the stuff in the book, but I learned about how the uterine muscles work and how to visualize that. That's exactly what I did and I had almost no pain with #3. With number 4 it was even better. I did not push at all. My body did the work. I pushed one time to get him out and that was it. It was incredible how much I could feel going on inside. It gave such confidence and hope to know where the baby was and to feel my cervix opening up for him! Wow! I think I've had as pain free a birth as one can have. As kimmers said, it's a totally different kind of pain, almost dull.

TylerJ1029 January 31st, 2009 09:58 AM

I too concentrate on keeping my body relaxed. I also meditate and visualize myself dilating and my baby moving down. I dont like to be talked to and if I'm touched it better be gentle touching on my back. Talking breaks my concentration and I will yell at you :lol:

Kelllilee January 31st, 2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Wow! This is me. People talking don't bother me, but I can't stand a radio or tv. And I don't want to be touched! It is too distracting.[/b]

I can't stand ANY talking or noise during contractions. With my first I wanted touched, with my second, no way! once i hit transition I couldn't stand any touching, not even bubbles in the tub. With my first the midwife had to "politely" tell my mom to shut the heck up cause she would NOT stop chatting with me during contractions :lol:

mamatanya January 31st, 2009 09:19 PM

During my last birth, I was sitting on a birthing ball next to the side of my bed and my hand found a mattress handle. When my pain was really intense I focused on holding the mattress handle. When it would easy up, I would ease up on the handle and once I felt another contraction coming on, I would frantically search for the handle. It made me feel safe, secure, and in control. I did not realize that I had this connection with this mattress handle at the time and it is not something that I would have ever assumed would work for me, but it did.

With my second birth, we had candles and soft music going in the background. I had planned on enjoying them during my labor, but honestly, I don't think that I really noticed them. They did make for a very nice birth video though, lol.

_Brandy_ February 13th, 2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

This sounds very much like my labour with 2 & 3. 4&5 were faster & I did this some, but not a lot.

Britt February 14th, 2009 07:49 AM

While I was pregnant, I put a big song list together, of relaxing music. I chose alot of asian flute, and native american flute music. This was to help me stay focused, and think of my ancestors who have gone through it before. It worked great usually.

Also, about a month before I was due, my sister had a blessing-way for me. Every woman that came, brought atleast 1 bead that had meaning to it. They explained the meaning behind it, and we made a bracelet. I wore the bracelet during labor. most of the beads represented past women, or my grandmothers, etc. It gave me a focal point, and kept me strong.

Other than that, I REALLY relaxed when I would sit in the birthing pool, and everyone would leave the room. My labor would progress so much more too!

CameraLinds February 16th, 2009 01:45 PM

What motivated you through your labor? Reminding myself it won't last forever and that it'll be worth it cause we'll be meeting our son soon! Not much bigger motivator than him, especially being 12 days overdue, I was dying to meet him already!
What was it you focused your mind/heart on to help you through your labor? pretty much same as above
Did you use candles and music? Pictures? Hypnosis? candles: yes, music: yes- they both helped me relax, I loved listening to Jack Johnson, John Mayer
What was the main thing that kept you focused when labor got intense? Honestly, surrendering to each contraction and just going with it, rocking, swaying, and making low moaning noises.

Other things that helped were DH being there by my side. I needed him to hold me, to squeeze his hands and for hip counter pressure. And of course him telling me sweet, motivational things.

oh yea forgot to add the birth pool helped tremendously. DH even said he saw a difference in my response to labor once I got in.