JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   What to do at my first check-up? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1423903-what-to-do-my-first-check-up.html)

cre8tivem February 4th, 2009 09:52 PM

I feel kind of like I'm doing all this for the first time. I had an amazing home birth Dr for my first 2 home water births. I never had any qualms about anything, I trusted him explicitly, I never even made a birth plan or anything. I'd known him for awhile before my pregnancies, knew people that had used him and couldn't say enough good things about him. He was completely commited to letting the woman in labor give birth her way.
Now this time around I am in Canada, the restrictions are pretty bad on midwives. I've heard that even the midwives encourage you to give birth in the hospital attended by a midwife "just in case". And there is a shortage, only 30% of ladies requesting one get one. I don't know anybody yet (we just moved here 8 weeks ago) so I have zero recommendations from anyone, and I am just happy to get any midwife at all, I really want a home birth!! I have been accepted by a midwifery clinic (I have a good health history and I'm young) but now I feel like I have no wiggle room. My first appointment is Friday and I am all worried. I feel like asking anything is pointless because I'm stuck with her no matter what. What if I hate her? I don't like people telling me what to do, especially when I'm in labor. :( I don't really know how to feel, I'm just stressing about this whole thing.
Melissa

Martina February 4th, 2009 10:03 PM

which province??

i have a great midwife, i am almost 37 and i am going to have 3rd home water birth with the same midwife

cre8tivem February 5th, 2009 01:29 PM

Manitoba

chazsucks February 8th, 2009 01:57 PM

Heya, I know you live in Canada, I'm in the UK. Really want a home birth but being told I can't for a first time birth. All you gotta do is prove em wrong.

This site is really really helpful, even though as I said before, you live in Canada. Still loads of good advice xox

cre8tivem February 10th, 2009 08:31 AM

Ya know, it wasn't that bad. They seem pretty commited to doing things the way you want to. The only thing that may cause a problem is that they are required by law to have 2 certified professionals at every birth, so if the second midwife can't get there in time they are required to call 911! That just seems kind of dumb to me, but oh well, hopefully I don't have a faster labor than last time! I was only 2 1/2 hours from maybe to baby. But all in all it was a good appointment and I feel better.

Martina February 10th, 2009 10:44 PM

YUP!!! I was ready to push (10 cm dilated) and my second midwife wasnt here yet, so we waited for her! ROFLOL, I mean I actually had no desire to push so it was OK, but I pushed pretty much as soon as the second midwife walked in our house LOL.
though nobody ever told me that they have to call 911 (wonder if this is different in every province) if the second midwife didnt show up on time, because when my second midwife wasnt here, my first one said to wait, but she wasnt overly concerned if I had to start pushing. I mean I know they are supposed to be 2 of them here, one for baby , one for mom, but my midwife has known me for almost 9 years now LOL.

JoySAHM February 11th, 2009 12:03 PM

I've had 2 homebirths with a midwife in Ontario, and yes it is true that midwives are highly regulated by a board of OB's, and the younger and least experienced midwives prefer hospital births and you do have to find a midwife as soon as you know you're pregnant to have a better chance of getting one, BUT, I had some awesome midwives who were so happy about homebirthing, they totally preferred homebirths and encouraged it. THey do have strict regulations, but they did give awesome support and most of the midwives I've met believed in being more hands off and would suggest natural, herbal methods before medical ones. There ARE good midwives in Canada. You could also look for a lay midwife, who will certainly be hands off and not under strict regulations, but you'd have to pay out of pocket. I birthed unassisted with my third, which I will always cherish.

_Brandy_ February 23rd, 2009 09:12 PM

I am also in Canada and I am a student midwife. It is true that by law (in all of Canada) there has to be two people in attendance (varies from place to place on the exact schooling the 2nd has to have), but there are also few midwives that would actually call 911 if that 2nd was late... It all depends on mom and how she communicates with her midwife. For example, if the RM thinks mom is going to wig out without the 2nd she is going to be 'by the book', kwim?

Good luck with it all!