JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   A little disappointed... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1433393-little-disappointed.html)

Hey There February 11th, 2009 03:55 PM

I talked to my midwife (or soon to be) today. I have a very irregular cycle but told her the day of MLP, the day I think I concieved and the dates I took my one negative and 2 positive pregnancy tests. From those 4 dates, I think we had a pretty good range of EDD. It was within in a 2 week period and due dates aren't exactly the day that all babies make their arrival. Anyway, she then started talking about ultrasound and referring out to get an exact date (which seems silly when the babies don't arrive right on the due date). I'm feeling disappointed and like this is going to be the way of my whole pregnancy. I haven't even met her yet and she is already recommending medical test (an $800 medical test no less!). Should I try and find someone else or go to the appointment and see how it goes? What do you think?

JoySAHM February 11th, 2009 07:24 PM

Personally I'd find someone else I'm more comfortable with. With all the info you gave her, she should feel you have a pretty accurate EDD and let it go. It's not like you don't know when your last menstrual cycle was, if you really had no clue, then ofcourse they would want to do an u/s to get a date. But you gave her all the info she needs to get a date. To me, this is a sign of being far too dependent on procedures and tests, I'd worry about her competence (does she feel comfortable with births and homebirths in particular), she may end up being hands on when you want a hands off midwife. That's my take, but ofcourse it's up to you and how you feel about it.

Martina February 11th, 2009 09:26 PM

I wasnt completely sure with my dates, but me and my midwife figured out 2 dates and we are going by them, she said I could have an u/s if I want to but I said NO, and she was perfectly fine with that.

Hey There February 12th, 2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Personally I'd find someone else I'm more comfortable with. With all the info you gave her, she should feel you have a pretty accurate EDD and let it go. It's not like you don't know when your last menstrual cycle was, if you really had no clue, then ofcourse they would want to do an u/s to get a date. But you gave her all the info she needs to get a date. To me, this is a sign of being far too dependent on procedures and tests, I'd worry about her competence (does she feel comfortable with births and homebirths in particular), she may end up being hands on when you want a hands off midwife. That's my take, but ofcourse it's up to you and how you feel about it.[/b]

This is how I am feeling, too. I haven't met her and she already is referring to the medical establishment. I appreciate the understanding. I think I'll keep my appointment on tuesday and see if maybe Face to Face we have some kind of repore. Thanks for your input.

_Brandy_ February 23rd, 2009 09:28 PM

How did the appt go? What does your gut tell you? Are you sticking with her?

Jaci March 7th, 2009 11:32 AM

Re: A little disappointed...

The problem I'm sure she is feeling is that in most (all?) states a midwife must do a hospital transfer if you go over two weeks late, so getting that date pin-pointed is a lot safer than having a two week period. Does that make sense?

ETA: what you could do is take the latest of the due dates that you have pin-pointed, do a calculator to find out what date you ovulated and then base your LMP on that (essentially, lie to her). I know someone who did that to her midwife and her midwife winked and said "I just have to go by what you tell me!"

Hey There March 7th, 2009 12:13 PM

Re: A little disappointed...

I went to the appointment and actually got a different midwife then the one I talked to on the phone. She and I went over dates and talked about possible dates of conceptions, positive and negative pregnancy test dates and when *I* felt I conceived. With that, we narrowed it down to 2 possible times...I was either 9 weeks or 12 weeks. She did an exam on me and said she would be able to tell but the size of something inside there (can't remember-uterus?) if I was 9 or 12 weeks. She was sure I was 9 weeks which is what I already knew! I really liked her and I think we clicked. She seemed to be more of the mindset that I am as far as the baby will come when it's ready...2 weeks early, 2 weeks late...it's just an estimated date. I have my next appointment on the 18th. How does everyone feel about hearing the heartbeat via Doppler? Any negative side affects for baby? I want to just for pure selfish reasons but not if it's bad for baby. Thank you all for your help. I love having knowledgeable people to talk to about this. My friends and family have been really supportive of the homebirth but they don't have any insight/experience to help me with questions. Thank You.