JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Cytotec (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1441641-cytotec.html)

~Jackie February 17th, 2009 04:54 PM

I just had an appt. and my MW said that if after her and her assistant leave from the birth, if I start hemorrhaging to put 1/2 a cytotec pill under my tongue. She then said to my husband that if I pass out to put all three full pills in my mouth and elevate my feet and call her/911 ASAP.

Cytotec? I've heard of the dangers for induction - but I've never heard of it's use to stop hemorrhaging. Any advice? I'm going to do some research but didn't know if any of you had some info as well. Thanks!

UrbanMomma February 18th, 2009 09:43 AM

Your mw shouldn't leave until shes sure your bleeding is under control. I've never heard of using cytotec.

inyourhonor February 18th, 2009 12:37 PM

:ditto: I've never heard of using cytotec for hemmoraging. I've heard of using pitocin. I also agree she shouldn't leave till shes made sure you're going to be fine on your own.

I passed out twice after my midwife left, but mine wasn't due to my bleeding, it was due to not eating for so long and having a really good hard labor that took my energy. I was told to remain in bed for the next day.

UrbanMomma February 18th, 2009 03:21 PM

Yeah, now I had to get a shot of pitocin after my oldest daughter was born (at home) due to heavy bleeding.

~Jackie February 20th, 2009 02:12 PM

I did find some additional information about cytotec AFTER the baby is born and how it does help stop hemmoraging. She'll have pit if she's there but she likes to (apparently from one of my HB friends) skip out as soon as possible after the birth.... which doesn't really bother me because I'm not that connected with my MW anyway...

_Brandy_ February 21st, 2009 10:53 PM

My initial response is it is time for a new midwife.

Cytotec is a drug that should only be administered by a care provider, it shouldn't be left with lay people to self administer.

I would hope your midwife would not leave you if she has fear of hemorrhage.

~Jackie February 22nd, 2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Cytotec is a drug that should only be administered by a care provider, it shouldn't be left with lay people to self administer.

I would hope your midwife would not leave you if she has fear of hemorrhage.[/b]
There are no other options for MW for a homebirth. She is a CNM not a lay midwife. I don't have any history of hemm. or any increased risk, she's just being overly-prepared. I was just concerned about the safety of using cytotec for hemm, but it seems it's only dangerous if you're still preg. and using it to induce (which she doesn't).

Kelllilee February 22nd, 2009 08:17 AM

I have heard it's bad to take cytotec while BFing, not sure it would affect it before your milk comes in, but I've heard it can cause diarrhea in the baby...

BTW, love the middle name(s) you picked!!

~Jackie February 22nd, 2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

I have heard it's bad to take cytotec while BFing, not sure it would affect it before your milk comes in, but I've heard it can cause diarrhea in the baby...

BTW, love the middle name(s) you picked!![/b]
oh poopers.... - heck I'll just take a chunk of placenta screw the cytotec :rolleyes: LOL! I know I'm not going to hemm anyway so I shouldn't be worried. LOL!

_Brandy_ February 22nd, 2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would hope your midwife would not leave you if she has fear of hemorrhage.[/b]
There are no other options for MW for a homebirth. She is a CNM not a lay midwife. I don't have any history of hemm. or any increased risk, she's just being overly-prepared. I was just concerned about the safety of using cytotec for hemm, but it seems it's only dangerous if you're still preg. and using it to induce (which she doesn't).
[/b]

If you are comfortable with her then all is good. I didn't say she was a lay midwife, I said medications shouldn't be administered by lay people, in other words, a mother and father shouldn't be given medication to self-administer if they determine they are hemorrhaging. Do you know what a hemorrhage looks like? Would you be certain you were hemorrhaging?

In any case, I do not think it is right for anyone to leave medications with you to self-administer.

That said, I have always had things for hemorrhage incase I needed them, but not cytotec. I had never heard of it as an appropriate medication to treat hemorrhage. There are many more out there and in all my textbooks I have only ever learned of other things.

Good luck with it all!

~Jackie February 22nd, 2009 06:07 PM

Sorry, the only term I have ever heard 'lay' with was with MW, I thought that's what you were saying.

_Brandy_ February 23rd, 2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Sorry, the only term I have ever heard 'lay' with was with MW, I thought that's what you were saying.[/b]

No problem. In Canada "lay midwife" isn't a term used much at all so I forget that it is in the US.