JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Intro and question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1493812-intro-and-question.html)

mara March 26th, 2009 03:30 AM

Intro and question

Hi everyone,
I'm Mara and my DH and I are planning a home birth. I have two great midwives and feel really good about the decision. As a "just in case" back up, as well as to get ultrasounds when needed we have also been going to an OB. I haven't actually told my OB that we are having a home birth yet, and I am not sure how they will react. I would like to say somewhat involved with them so that if we have to go to the hospital for some reason I could still use them instead of some random dr. who doesn't know me...at the same time I am not sure if, now that my appt's will start to be every two weeks and then every week, that I will really be able to do twice the appts. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks so much for your input!

soImarriedAnerd March 26th, 2009 03:42 AM

Re: Intro and question

I don't have experience with it, my midwife has a OB that works with her and I have to see him once about 34 weeks just for a quick meet and greet.
But I did want to welcome you to the board! :welcome:

GoldmanBaby09 April 3rd, 2009 09:19 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, Mara. I have a mw that I see who will be attending my homebirth and a CNM that I see at an OB office that insurance covers. I am starting to come down to the point where it will be bi-weekly with each, too. My plan is to see the CNM until about 32 weeks and then stop going after that. I have a growth scan with a Perinatalogist at 32 weeks, and if I stop seeing the CNM before then, that will cause problems. If I could stop seeing the CNM now, I would though. I had considered wanting to hold out for the same reason as you, having a transport back up. But my mom (who is also a midwife) pointed out that the CNM is not going to be able to take me if I have to transport. Their malpractice insurance won't allow it for the most part. You usually have to go to the ER and take your chances. Plus unless your OB is very pro homebirth, you will probably find that they are not very supportive and I have know OB's who have dropped patients once they found out they were doing the homebirth. I would suggest talking to your mw about it and see when she suggest you stop concurrent care. Good Luck!

mara April 4th, 2009 08:31 AM

Thanks for your response...I mentioned all of this to my midwives at my appt. this week and they also said not to be suprised if the OB drops me after I tell them. I guess that this is ok, I only worry that if I go late and start to get worried and want some more reassurance (like an ultrasound to look at fluid levels or something) I won't have anywhere easy to go. My midwives do have a couple of Dr.'s they work with though, so I guess I would just go to them.
Even though homebirth has been the plan since the beginning, this seems like a big step! It makes it all seem much more real. Even though I would never want to give birth with my ob practice it has been nice having them around for a second opinion...

_Brandy_ April 10th, 2009 04:38 PM

I think if I was you I would just see my midwife for care. Birth is not often in need of obstetrical care, afterall.