JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Birth Certificates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1494376-birth-certificates.html)

soImarriedAnerd March 26th, 2009 10:02 AM

Birth Certificates

How does Birth Certificates work when you have a home birth? DH asked me tonight and I realized I had no idea! Also when did you guys have/will have baby seen by a doctor post birth (or didn't you)?

CameraLinds March 26th, 2009 11:26 AM

Re: Birth Certificates

It's probably a bit different in every state...but here in CA....After DS was born I called the vital records place where you get the birth certificate from and scheduled an appointment. (it was for 2 months later!!!)
We needed:
A letter from the mw stating my care starting date and my LMP and where I gave birth and his vitals
A letter from a pedi saying he was healthy and his vitals
A bill/mail in my name with the birth address from the month of birth
And of course driver licenses or passports of DH & I

Gave the lady this, she made copies and then I had to fill out about 6 applications/paperwork. Then we paid and got his birth certificate that day :)

We had to see a pedi after his birth for a letter to be able to get his birth certificate (normally the pedi does all that in the hospital) so when DS was 2 days old we took him to the pedi. I think you have 2-3 days after birth here to see a pedi. We would have rather taken him at 3 days old but of course the 3rd day for us was a Saturday not open and couldn't wait till Monday at 5 days old.

Research your county where you'll be birthing governmental vital record website and that should give you info with more specifics
HTH!

inyourhonor March 26th, 2009 11:33 AM

My midwife filled out the form, we had to fill out the rest. We took it to our local county clerks office and had it within 15 minutes and 10 dollars later.

He was a month old by the time he saw the pedi. He was cared for until 6wks old by my midwife.

_Brandy_ March 26th, 2009 11:50 AM

It would depend upon your state, but if you have a legal midwife I would imagine she would do everything that the Dr would do in a hospital.

kimberlypatton@msn.com March 26th, 2009 12:30 PM

Here in WA my midwife just submits the forms for us. I think I have to sign it and that's it.

Pyrodjm March 28th, 2009 03:54 AM

Our midwife gave us a form to fill out. She then submitted it. We got the BC in the mail when Natalie was about 6 weeks old.

Martina March 28th, 2009 09:39 AM

here it doesnt matter where you have the baby, you get BC same way no matter what LOL.
I know my MW phoned after the birth that baby was born and what time (no idea who she phoned with this info and I truly dont care LOL), and then when we want BC we apply for it and then they mail it to us.
As for doctors visit, here you go see MW with the baby at 6 weeks and then we didnt go anywhere, I didnt see the need to go see doctor with the baby since nothing was wrong with my kids ever so why bother and waste so much time?

CameraLinds March 28th, 2009 11:19 AM

You ladies are so lucky who didn't have to do anything. CA stinks!!!!!!

Jodi Dawn April 1st, 2009 12:36 PM

with my birth we went to the hospital afterwards. So they did all that at the hospital. even when in the hospital they want to see the baby within 2 days after its born