JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Home Birth article (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1499924-home-birth-article.html)

LenaandBaby March 30th, 2009 02:41 PM

Home Birth article

Hello, I'm just dropping by to share this article with you all:

Is Midwife Cara Muhlhahn Too Fearless in Her Home-Birth Advocacy? -- New York Magazine

It's about a home birth practitioner, the article's written by a dad-to-be, and there is one loss mentioned & a couple of difficult home births described

I'm a happy hossy mommy so I probably won't be back much, but I just wanted to share!

Kelllilee March 30th, 2009 03:47 PM

Re: Home Birth article

interesting article. Wish it was a little more fair on both sides, but thanks for sharing.

Sk8ermaiden March 30th, 2009 04:10 PM

That article is pretty terrible I wouldn't be surprised if it were funded by ACOG.

I love that she is "risky" (unlike the typical midwife) because she:

~Delivers 10 lb. babies *garp* *horror* Every midwife I've encountered does the same. Most have never had a bad outcome.
~Does VBACS. Again, do you know many that don't?
~Does breeches. Again, many homebirth midwives do this. Mine doesn't like to, but will do frank breech if mom is determined.
~Does twins. Again, at least half of the midwifes in my area do this.

How many midwives did he ask to determine that she alone takes on these "risky" practices? None, I'm guessing.

The "nightmare birth" was a posterior babe. Hardly a life threatening situation.

I love how he quotes an OB saying all her transfers are trainwrecks. Every time I've ever heard an OB or nurse talk about homebirth transfers, they call them trainwrecks. I think it's in the handbook. It's a trainwreck to them because they weren't there to "manage" it. Never mind that 90% of transfers (which represent only 10% of planned home births) are for pain management or prolonged labor - not emergencies.

I LOVE that they think she's dangerous because she doesn't carry malpractice insurance. If she did, then no one could afford a homebirth. None of the dozens of midwives I contacted in my search carried malpractice. Also, in a combined hundreds of years of experience, none had ever been sued. What OB can say that?

I love that in the shoulder dystoxia case, someone argued she "should have known the baby would be too big". This is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard, especially since statistically, SD is just as common in small babies as big and also that even ultrasound is off by as much as two pounds far more often than it is even remotely accurate.

I saw this quote on another forum, The problem is that were talking about the possibility the outcome would be different, he says. No one who loses a baby in a hospital says, Oh, I wonder if this would have been better if Id done it at home? 

Followed by dozens of moms who immediately said, "I don't wonder if my birth would have been better at home, I KNOW it would have" of their damaged babies and traumatic hospital births.

Interestingly enough, the thing I find most questionable about Cara's practice was barely touched on. 10 patients a month? I find that a little irresponsible.

That's what I have to say about that article. ;)

LenaandBaby March 30th, 2009 04:22 PM

hmm I'm sorry I didn't realize it was so biased I guess b/c I'm a layman lol
I just saw it as home births getting a little attention but skimming back over it I do see the slant
Oh well it's a talking point anyway...