JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   any ideas on how to find a midwife? And insurance Q (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1503070-any-ideas-how-to-find-midwife-and-insurance-q.html)

bigplantnerd April 1st, 2009 02:28 PM

any ideas on how to find a midwife? And insurance Q

Hi all!

The more I learn the more I think homebirth is the way to go for me. The hospitals in my area have a 30-35% c section rate, etc etc. I know many are lucky enough to live in homebirth-friendly states, but unfortunately I'm not :(

I live in Charlotte, NC..in NC midwives cannot legally do homebirths, but obviously they are getting done. So apparently there is an underground. So my question is, how on earth do you find a midwife? Is it risky to do so in that kind of a legal environment?

Also, I have insurance with aetna which is no way no how do they pay for HB, I understand that. But if I had to have a transfer or had a postpartum complication could they deny payment since it was related to homebirth?

Oy, there's so much to learn!

Kelllilee April 1st, 2009 03:15 PM

Re: any ideas on how to find a midwife? And insurance Q

Related Links - North Carolina Homebirth

Find a Meetup Group Near You! - Homebirth Meetups - Charlotte

NC midwives and homebirth's - Home birthing - BabyCenter

ExploringHolisticAlternatives : Exploring Holistic Alternatives

NCFOM : North Carolina Friends of Midwives

NaturalBirthGrp : Charlotte Natural Birth Group

NCnaturalfamilies : NC Natural Families

Hope those help :)

_Brandy_ April 10th, 2009 04:35 PM

good luck with it all. I am aware of a few midwives in NC, if you need help finding one, let me know, I may be able to help.

soImarriedAnerd April 10th, 2009 08:28 PM

^^^ WOW I think they got you covered! LOL

I don't know the area so I can't help. But :welcome: to the board!!! And congrats on your pregnancy!

GoldmanBaby09 April 11th, 2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigplantnerd (Post 15166496)

Also, I have insurance with aetna which is no way no how do they pay for HB, I understand that. But if I had to have a transfer or had a postpartum complication could they deny payment since it was related to homebirth?

Oy, there's so much to learn!

I don't believe that they can deny you coverage if you have to transport or have a postpartum emergency. If you do have to transfer, you are usually admitted through the ER and the cost is what ever your co pay is for an Er admittance, though I would check with aetna before hand to make sure. One thing I can tell you, though I am not sure how things are in NC, is that if you do have to transport, especially if hb is not recognized in that state, you might get threatened with a Child Protective Services report. My mom had a hb with all of us, but when she had my youngest brother, she had placental accreta and had to transport for the hemorrhage. Even though she was admitted (and our insurance covered the bill) and hb is legal in California where she was giving birth, the OB she saw still threatened to call CPS on her. Even if she had had the baby in the hospital, she still would have hemorrhaged, and they would not have been able to detect the accreta any faster than the mws did. Luckily they didn't follow through with the report, but it is just something to file away in the back of your mind to be prepared for in the event you do have to transfer. Hopefully, your birth will go smoothly and this won't even be an issue :)