JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Homebirth to be made Illegal in Australia. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1622127-homebirth-to-made-illegal-australia.html)

Alina0210 July 5th, 2009 07:06 AM

Homebirth to be made Illegal in Australia.

Hi Ladies,

I am brand new at this site. My name is Alina, im 26 and live in Perth Western Australia.

I joined this website to let you know about the struggle us homebirthers are facing in Australia.

As of July 2010, having a homebirth with an Independant midwife will be illegal. If caught, the midwife and birthing mother can face fines of $30,000 and up to 5 years jail :mad: :eek:

here is a song on youtube a lady has created regarding this, i can't add a link but you can search - Song to Nicola Roxon.

Nicola Roxon is Australia's Minister for Health and is leading this to get this legislation aproved in parliment :mad:

Please support us in our fight to save homebirth in Australia, and let everyone and anyone you know about us.

Alina

SAHM & Doula to:
DS - 20th July 2005
DD - 8th June 2008 (My homebirth baby)

jess5377 July 5th, 2009 01:15 PM

Re: Homebirth to be made Illegal in Australia.

Hi Alina,

what's an "independent" midwife? When you say it's illegal to have a homebirth with an independent midwife, does that mean it'll still be legal with some kind of regulated/approved midwife?

inyourhonor July 5th, 2009 01:23 PM

I wonder if their independent midwife is the same as our lay midwife? I'd have to ask my best friend because she lives in Australia. I will definitely pass this on.

I hope the AMA doesn't succeed and make home birth illegal in the states.

Sk8ermaiden July 5th, 2009 06:50 PM

I only googled a couple short articles, but this is my understanding.

It appears to be any private practice midwife, and from what I can tell, only private practice midwives do homebirths there. Basically, after an 11 million dollar payout in an obstretic lawsuit, the australian insurance companies decided that 200 midwives paying $800 a year didn't give them enough money to pay out that kind of decision should a lawsuit happen, so they just stopped offering them indemnity insurance.

The new law says they can't practice without indemnity insurance.

What makes me so angry about this is that a freaking OB was sued, and it's the midwives they punish?!?! Not only that, but indemnity insurance for OBs is subsidized by the government, but not for midwives! Grr! :mad:

inyourhonor July 5th, 2009 07:37 PM

What the heck! Wow, just wow.

Alina0210 July 6th, 2009 06:33 AM

Thanks for your replies ladies.

An Independant midwife is a fully qualified/trained midwife that works independantly from the hospital either by herself or with a group of other midwives... you pay her directly.

if you go to the savehomebirth . org website has great articles

Isaeph July 7th, 2009 07:06 AM

Wow that's just ridiculous. I don't know much about Australia but I do recall seeing a birth story there where a lady lived hours from the local hospital...and said that lots of people do. HB is a wonderful tool for many women in that situation especially!

CameraLinds July 7th, 2009 02:42 PM

Wow that is ridiculous! :( soo sad! I hope it doesn't pass.

Del4 July 7th, 2009 04:29 PM

Wow. That is crazy!!

I know that knowing about this and passing it along can help, but is there anything those of us in the states can actually DO here?? (this is a serious question, not being sarcastic at all).

justjaQ July 9th, 2009 05:22 PM

:cry: i am so so sorry... i was so disturbed, reading this, and it just breaks my heart. best of luck getting this !@#&%? law overturned. :dothug: