JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Really good hospital/doc? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1667034-really-good-hospital-doc.html)

BobbityBoo August 10th, 2009 08:08 PM

Really good hospital/doc?

I have had two natural child births and have enoyed them both! My first one was great being as it was my first child and I did it natural, but the actual details of it stunk!! My doctors were not encouraging of a natural child birth and generally rude. Since having my first child we have moved to the Seattle area and found a great doctor and hospital! My doc was SO encouraging of a NCB! There were no interventions on her part or her staff. The hospital where we birthed has private suites for each couple that included a tub for laboring (you could not give birth in it but I didn't want to so it was ok with me). The hospital gave me so many options for laboring/birthing positions, even offering aroma therapy massage!

Having said all that my doc has since stopped delievering. There are other doctors in here practice that aparently share her veiws and methods, but I don't know that first hand. We are now TTC #3 and am revisting the idea of home birth. I have had two healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies and births so would be an excellent canidate for home birth. DH is on board for NCB and actually has become quite the proponent for it with his friends! But with the situation we have at our hospital he doesn't see the need for home birth. And frankly I don't have any arguments since there is nothing I didn't like about our hospital experience. I would just like to experience a home birth!

I am going to research our midwife options here locally, especially what the insurance covers or not. So we have time to figure it out. Do any of you have any info to tell DH that might help him decide?

Thanks!

Kelllilee August 10th, 2009 08:42 PM

Re: Really good hospital/doc?

one good argument you can make to him for homebirth is that nearly 200,000 people die every year from hospital errors or hospital acquired infections. That's pretty scary.

Have you looked into a birth center as an alternative? I know there's at least one really good one in the Seattle area.

ajsmommy August 10th, 2009 10:38 PM

Seattle has one of the best Midwifery schools in the nation. I am sure you will be able to find a very qualified midwife in your area. If you think about 100 years ago, almost all births were homebirths. I think if you feel it is right for you to go for it. A couple I know recently delivered in the hospital and when they didn't want to allow the nurses to give their newborn the Vitamin K shot, child protective services and the police were called, so if you really want to limit the hospital deciding what to inject into your child a homebirth may be the way to go.
Seattle Midwifery School can probably provide you with some good information.
Seattle Midwifery School | Training Midwives, Doulas, Lactation Professionals and Childbirth Educators Good luck!!

ajsmommy August 10th, 2009 10:40 PM

Seattle has one of the best Midwifery schools in the nation. I am sure you will be able to find a very qualified midwife in your area. If you think about 100 years ago, almost all births were homebirths. I think if you feel it is right for you to go for it. A couple I know recently delivered in the hospital and when they didn't want to allow the nurses to give their newborn the Vitamin K shot, child protective services and the police were called, so if you really want to limit the hospital deciding what to inject into your child a homebirth may be the way to go.
Seattle Midwifery School can probably provide you with some good information.
Seattle Midwifery School | Training Midwives, Doulas, Lactation Professionals and Childbirth Educators Good luck!!

BobbityBoo August 11th, 2009 09:02 AM

Thank you for all the info! Ajs mommy, I will have to look into the Midwifery school. Friends of ours are working with a midwife now that they really like! They said they will give us an update after labor and birth, she is currently 12 days past her due date. Poor girl, we had record heat last week over 100 degress in Seattle. No one has A/C here so it was just miserable!!!

I think I can talk DH into it, he is just such a practical logic guy. I think we will have to actually talk to some people so he knows for sure what the advantages are. The other side of it is that if he hates the other docs in the practice we have been going to, he will run the other direction, so that's good! =)

Thanks again!

szczepanski August 11th, 2009 11:19 AM

I am also someone who has a great hospital that I don't mind delivering at. I am also looking into a home birth, and my DH is "supportive" to an extent, but wonders why I'm even researching a home birth when we have a great hospital. I told him because its important to explore all the options and educate ourselves on what sounds best for us!

BobbityBoo August 11th, 2009 02:16 PM

Szczepanski, seems like we are in the same boat. I feel like even though I thoroughly enjoyed my last hospital birth that maybe it could only get better with a home birth. Everything that I love about natural child birth would be multiplied, possibly, in the home setting. So I am interested to speak with more people and research it a little more.

I am wondering about things after the birth though. Like Ajs mommy mentioned the vitamin k shots that they do after the baby is born. This time around I would like to be better informed about procedures after birth including vacinations. I know that is a huge controversy these days and frankly I haven't looked into it personally. In the past I have always focused on the actualy birth and getting to do that my way and I have gone further yet. Do you ladies have any info or articles on procedures after birth and vacines?

jess5377 August 14th, 2009 08:22 PM

Boppity - I'm really enjoying my homebirth midwife in the Seattle area (you can PM me for her name). There are also some great threads on Mothering.com's Washington/Oregon forums that talk about cool OBs, birthcenter midwives, hospital CNM midwives, homebirth midwives, etc.

You can check it out here: Washington, Oregon, Idaho - MotheringDotCommunity Forums

Use the search function to find the applicable thread.

As for your husband, I sat mine down in front of The Business of Being Born DVD and by the end, he was all for it.

BobbityBoo August 16th, 2009 03:18 PM

Thanks Jess! I am going to check it out right now! what area of Seattle are you in? We are just south of Seattle, close to the airport!

Motherbird August 17th, 2009 09:05 AM

It will only get better with a home birth and then you will wonder why you didn't just birth at home for all 3 babies! :-) A good hosptial experience can be "nice" but a home birth will change your life.

Leave some good home birth books around the house (maybe in the bathroom) for your hubby to pick up and read. That helped to convince my husband. If you can get him to meet the midwife with you, that may just seal the deal. Usually once they get their questions and concerns addressed by a professional, they feel more comfortable with the whole thing.

jess5377 August 17th, 2009 11:57 AM

Boppity, we're in the Central District.

In case you do decide to go the OB/hospital route or the CNM/hospital route, you should also check out The Birth Survey - TheBirthSurvey - Welcome (home birth midwives are on there too)

Moms (and actually quite a lot of moms from the Seattle area) have reviewed their OBs, midwives, etc. So, you can get a real feel for their style, approach, bedside manner, etc. That way, if you do go the hospital route, you can maybe find an OB that's a nice fit.

Twinkle August 17th, 2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

It will only get better with a home birth and then you will wonder why you didn't just birth at home for all 3 babies! :-) A good hosptial experience can be "nice" but a home birth will change your life.
That is sooo true!!!! My DH was also skeptical about a home birth. He supported me in whatever I wanted, but I knew he thought I'd be better off at a hospital. Having my baby at home changed my life, and my views on birthing in general.

inyourhonor August 17th, 2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkle (Post 16981406)
That is sooo true!!!! My DH was also skeptical about a home birth. He supported me in whatever I wanted, but I knew he thought I'd be better off at a hospital. Having my baby at home changed my life, and my views on birthing in general.

Agreed! After our home birth, my husband said he couldn't wait to tell everyone about it and couldn't wait for the next one. Well, we are waiting at least a year before start trying :p