JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Care for your older children (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1673971-care-for-your-older-children.html)

Twinkle August 17th, 2009 03:15 PM

Care for your older children

For those with older children, did they participate at all in the birth of the baby? Did you have a support person there specifically for your children?

Kelllilee August 17th, 2009 03:37 PM

Re: Care for your older children

I will most likely have my sisters here to care for the girls. I want them each to have someone to rely on. Courtney will participate in announcing the baby's gender (supposing they are awake). But otherwise they will be free to come and go as they want.

inyourhonor August 17th, 2009 05:04 PM

I had hoped to have Dane while Gage still was sleeping, my plans didn't quite go as I had hoped haha. I went into labor at 11pm Thanksgiving night and Dane was here at a quater to 2pm on Black Friday.

Gage woke up a few hours into labor. He stayed up with us for a bit and then my mom came over to take care of him. They hung out in his room and watched movies (We set up a tv and dvd player just in case) and then after awhile he was antsy and I was in transition, so my mom took my car and took him to her house. It was better for all of us. Gage came home about 30 minutes after Dane was born to meet his baby brother.

We'll see what happens with our 3rd when we are pregnant. My mom and stepdad are the only people we have up here that we trust to care for him.

Twinkle August 17th, 2009 07:03 PM

I had a friend set up to come over to take care of the girls if I was in labor during the day. I started with early labor during the day, so she came over to just keep the girls entertained throughout the day. She left once they were in bed though.

tygrss August 17th, 2009 07:06 PM

I am still figuring that one out. I don't have any family that I trust nearby and if this labor is anything like the last one I can't imagine that they will have time to get here in time.

Twinkle August 18th, 2009 07:22 AM

How about having a doula at your birth? Some doulas perform "double duty" and can assist with children as well. Also, one of my midwives had a daughter who was about 14, she offered her daughter's services to help with my children, if we didn't have anyone available. Maybe your midwife can offer some suggestions?

lhug_nar August 18th, 2009 08:11 AM

We are planning on having a doula here but ideally I'd like them to go with a family member like my SIL or mother.

_Brandy_ August 18th, 2009 09:00 AM

With my first homebirth I sent my kids away cause they were bothering me, they were 3 and 1 1/2 yrs.
With my 4th they were asleep
and my 5th they were downstairs watching tv

noworries August 18th, 2009 01:11 PM

I want my daughter to be there for the birth but considering she will only be almost 2 years old I will have my mom there to watch her and attend to her.