JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Your midwife's "office" (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1768297-your-midwifes-office.html)

Twinkle November 10th, 2009 05:16 PM

Your midwife's "office"

Does your midwife have an office? Is it in their house, or somewhere separate? Or does she not have an office and just come to you for your visits?

If she does have an office, what about it makes it comfortable and "homey"?

PixieQueen November 10th, 2009 06:03 PM

Re: Your midwife's "office"

My midwife's office is a room in her house. She has a bed, a rocking chair, toys for the kids, the books and videos she checks out to her clients and then her medical texts, a small desk and filing cabinet for business stuff. It's set up like a bedroom, so very comfy!

jess5377 November 10th, 2009 06:03 PM

My midwife has an office, though she just moved locations and right now, I'm into home visits (nah nah nah nah, home visits ROCK), so I haven't seen the new spot.

The old office was pretty homey though. To make it more "homey," she's got big comfy chairs to sit in, always tea at the ready, an in-office mini-kitchen and just a generally warm space painted in a warm, buttery color and equipped with little touches like a basket of toys for siblings, a cozy and cuddly examination table and all the instruments and clinical stuff tucked neatly away.

lhug_nar November 10th, 2009 06:18 PM

My midwife's office is in her home, she's got a bright room with comfy chairs and a massage table for laying on to be checked.

Kelllilee November 10th, 2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixieQueen (Post 17936468)
My midwife's office is a room in her house. She has a bed, a rocking chair, toys for the kids, the books and videos she checks out to her clients and then her medical texts, a small desk and filing cabinet for business stuff. It's set up like a bedroom, so very comfy!

:ditto: (same midwife)

CameraLinds November 10th, 2009 08:02 PM

They have an office. I actually took photos of it for their website (not up on the site yet) but I have a link to one of the pics of one of the midwifes rooms
Midwife Office | Yelp

catherineclare November 10th, 2009 10:10 PM

They have an office...got a new one halfway thru my pregnancy. It's very nice in a complex of a bunch of different types of offices. The outside sort of looks like a giant adobe building. They have very soft colors in the office and the furniture is rattan. Its sort of a spa like environment..bamboo floors etc. Always a pleasure going to her office and I didn't have any home visits. She just showed up when I was in labor:)

WishingStar November 11th, 2009 06:37 AM

It's actually a garage apartment at a friend's house. Has a living room, bedroom, bathroom. There are toys in the LR. And then there's a bed and a doctor's "bed" in the bedroom. Lots of pictures of babies and birth and so on. It's not overly warm and homey, but it's okay. She does come to my house too and that's always nice.

inyourhonor November 11th, 2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixieQueen (Post 17936468)

That's exactly how my midwifes "office" is! At home pretty much just like you described.

Sk8ermaiden November 11th, 2009 10:02 AM

Her office is in her house, right off the entryway. For the appointment she normally sits in her desk chair and we sit on the couch. It has an exam table in the corner, a bookcase full of lending books, and lots of pictures of babies she's delivered, the big chart that basically shows the specifics of each of her births since 2005, and posters showing baby size, station, and valid reasons for cesarean.

Even though it is in a home, what makes it homey is her. She is always going into the kitchen and pouring me a glass of water because she thinks I'm dehydrated and things like that. Not things doctors typically do.

Twinkle November 11th, 2009 03:35 PM

My midwives have an office, but one of them will see us in her home as well on occasion (she lives about 1/2 mile away from her office). The office isn't even really an office, its a room in a rented house, Other rooms include massage therapists, reiki, etc. My midwives office has a couch, toys for the girls, a bathroom and the "bed" for patients. Totally low key and comfy. Just the way I like it.

Alison79 November 11th, 2009 08:38 PM

My midwife used to do home visits but very recently moved to an office. I haven't seen it in person yet since she is still unpacking but I know it will be homey because she has put a lot of thought into it :)

Twhylite21 November 12th, 2009 11:49 AM

My midwives use a room off of one of their houses as their office. It has a separate entrance then the rest of the house, so you just come up the steps and are in the "office".

They also do home visits if you prefer and for everyone starting at 32 weeks until delivery. I like driving to their place though because the house is part of a Land Trust for their county (one of their husbands runs that) and they have tons of animals (sheep, goats, etc) and Lily likes to visit the animals.

moon~maiden November 12th, 2009 03:17 PM

I have talked to my midwife a whole lot on the phone but we have not actually met yet. I'm only 4 weeks so we haven't had our first official appointment yet. Not sure when I will do that. She said with first time moms she usually likes to see them right off, but if you've BTDT and seem to have a good grasp on nutrition and whatnot, she lets you choose when you'd like to come in.

I do assume it's in her house.

HappyHippy November 14th, 2009 01:31 PM

My Midwife's office is in her home. There is a bed, chair, tons of books, information, toys, and a birth ball. At 34 weeks the appointments are in my home.