JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Birth Kit Question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1768835-birth-kit-question.html)

WishingStar November 11th, 2009 05:56 AM

Birth Kit Question

I am going to be ordering my birth kit in a couple weeks (from inhishands.com). My midwife has a custom kit there and looks like it includes a lot of stuff. Then she has a separate list of stuff like towels, shower curtain liner, heating pad, etc.

However, I was wondering from you BTDT moms, is there anything you wish you had more of? anything that wasn't in your kit that you wanted? I want to add some things to her kit when I buy it, but I wanted to check with the experts here :D and see if there's anything you wish you would have bought or had more of?

Thanks!

inyourhonor November 11th, 2009 07:19 AM

Re: Birth Kit Question

I used a lot of towels but only because I was in and out of my birth pool. Thinking about it, i think everything that was on my midwifes list was used and we didn't go over, well, except for my towels haha.

Twinkle November 11th, 2009 12:05 PM

I second having lots of towels and receiving blankets on hand. Towels were helpful because i was in and out of the shower and in the pool. Receiving blankets because Kate pooped about 6 times in the first hour she was born. She wasn't diapered right away so we went through a lot of blankets cleaning up the messes.

I'd also have to say straws. I think its much easier to be in hard labor and to take a sip of a drink through a straw then have to hold the water bottle or cup in my hands and drink it. Seems silly, I'm sure, but you gotta keep hydrated and a straw was easier for me.

catherineclare November 11th, 2009 01:22 PM

I purchased my birth kit directly from my midwife then she had a list of things for me to get such as towels, olive oil, washclothes, etc. I ended up using the new towels I bought and then some of my old towels (I bought white ones that could be bleached)...so extra towels are good like the other ladies said. I ditto the straw thing! I had some in my birthing kit and couldnt figure out why they were in there then when my mom brought me a glass of water my midwife popped one out so I could sip! Made drinking much easier.

inyourhonor November 11th, 2009 02:10 PM

I never thought about the straws to purchase, I keep a ton of them in the house because of my oldest loves to use them haha. I agree bout them! I wouldn't have drank anything if i didn't have a straw now that im thinking about it.

Twinkle November 11th, 2009 02:31 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that relied on straws for drinks. It was much easier to have someone just put the straw to my mouth than do anything else!

WishingStar November 12th, 2009 10:57 AM

I think her kit has 2 straws in it. So, I'll be sure to have more. She has 4 large, soft towels on her other list, so I guess I'll double that?

Thanks!!

Twinkle November 12th, 2009 11:55 AM

Yeah I'd double the towels if you are planning or think you may labor in water.