JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Pets and Homebirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1776879-pets-and-homebirth.html)

Twinkle November 18th, 2009 11:21 AM

Pets and Homebirth

Do you have any pets? How were they during your birth? If you are planning your birth, are you making any arrangements for your pets, or giving any extra consideration to them?

Kelllilee November 18th, 2009 11:28 AM

Re: Pets and Homebirth

we have a dog who is NOT a people person, it takes a Loooooong time for her to be comfortable with new people, so she's getting staked in the yard during the birth or she'll be flipping out.

lhug_nar November 18th, 2009 11:53 AM

We have 3 cats... They'll be able to roam but if they start to get annoying, we do have a kennel for them.

~*Bethy*~ November 18th, 2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelllilee (Post 18019997)
we have a dog who is NOT a people person, it takes a Loooooong time for her to be comfortable with new people

:ditto: My chihuahua is going to hopefully my landlords, who has his little doggy friend he likes to play with

Alison79 November 18th, 2009 02:43 PM

We have a dog and two cats. I had zero tolerance for them during labor so I had my husband put them in a different room.

PixieQueen November 18th, 2009 03:58 PM

We have two cats, but they know they aren't allowed in the bedroom, which is where the tub will be. Plus one of them is doesn't like a lot of people, so I'm sure he will be hiding somewhere. The other is needy and has the most annoying meow, but I'm sure DH can toss him out if he starts yowling.

Twhylite21 November 18th, 2009 04:03 PM

We have 3 dogs (one of which is my parents, but they live with us so I take care of it when they're out of town). My 2 are little and like to sleep in my closet, so we might just close them in there during the birth. Most likely they will be in a different room from wherever I am though.

inyourhonor November 18th, 2009 04:17 PM

We have 3 cats and had 1 dog at the time of the birth. Our cats roamed, our dog we kept in our bedroom (his safespace, he hung out under the bed and Jason let him out to pee as he asked) and we now have another dog (so 2 total) who is a big lover and oaf that he'll probably go to the safespace also when we have our next baby haha.

Twinkle November 18th, 2009 04:43 PM

We have a dog and a cat. Our dog went to my inlaws for a few days. The cat was free in the house roaming around, but I'm fairly certain she slept through the whole thing, LOL. I have no memory of her during the birth.

WishingStar November 19th, 2009 08:25 PM

Hmmm... I didn't think about this either. We have a toy schnauzer who is 2 years old. She's only allowed in the LR, Kitchen, foyer. She's not allowed in my room or upstairs. I think it'll be okay. If it gets to be too much for her, she can go to my in-laws or outside.

CameraLinds November 19th, 2009 09:05 PM

we have a dog. he was present at the birth. he's a people person, when the MWs first got there we put him up but he was barking and going crazy so we let him out. He loved my MWs and they loved him. I forgot he was there most of the time, except when he'd come to check on me when i was in the birthing pool.

Hey There November 20th, 2009 09:45 AM

We had planned to take our 2 pugs to my friends house but since my water broke 2 weeks early andand the time from water breaking to his first appearance was only about 8 hrs....there just wasn't time. Labor was fast and I didn't want my husband leaving to drive them over there (about 25 minutes round trip by the time you get them in and out of the car). So, they stayed here! They were in their kennel sleeping the whole time. Perfect Angels! They sleep probably 20 hours out of everyday, though so not a stretch for them!

HappyHippy November 24th, 2009 06:37 PM

We have 2 dogs. They'll be outside during the birth, and then when we go to bed they can come back in. My MIL will hopefully be staying over night with us that first night, so the dogs can be in the living room or spare bedroom with her. If they seem to have a problem, which I doubt, then they can be in the basement.

moon~maiden November 25th, 2009 07:08 PM

we have 2 dogs that love to be in the middle of everything, and they are 50 lbs and 80 lbs. I'm not totally sure about what we will do with them yet. The woman who watches them is a half hour away each way, so I don't think that's an option, I wouldn't want John to be gone for an hour or more, especially if the midwife isn't here yet. We have crates in the basement but that could backfire because they tend to bark when they're in there and they know someone else besides us in the house. The garage is nice and cool and perfect - except in July and August, I'm due in July. It would be fine over night but probably not during the day. Whenever we put them outside by themselves they just hang out at the door and beg to come back in, they cant deal with being away from us, it's pathetic!

We have a cat as well who won't be an issue at all.