JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   How did you find your midwife? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1778996-how-did-you-find-your-midwife.html)

TeresaSuperMama November 20th, 2009 09:45 AM

How did you find your midwife?

Okay, going to look through more stickies and sure this one's been posted before, but wondering how all of you found your midwife. I still have not sold dh on this idea, but trying to research and find a really good one so it'll be easier to get dh on board with it.

inyourhonor November 20th, 2009 10:14 AM

Re: How did you find your midwife?

I'm in Northern Lower (Western side) of Michigan and I had no idea if there were even any HB midwives up here. I found mine by google, she had a website and I read it all then e-mailed her.

Downstate by where I am from I looked and found gaggles of HB midwives. I would say just doing internet searches. I do know that there is a website (I am drawing a blank!) that lists midwives by state.

Maybe do a search for your area and then add Michigan Midwives or Michigan Home Birth midwives.

TeresaSuperMama November 20th, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inyourhonor (Post 18041939)
I'm in Northern Lower (Western side) of Michigan and I had no idea if there were even any HB midwives up here. I found mine by google, she had a website and I read it all then e-mailed her.

Downstate by where I am from I looked and found gaggles of HB midwives. I would say just doing internet searches. I do know that there is a website (I am drawing a blank!) that lists midwives by state.

Maybe do a search for your area and then add Michigan Midwives or Michigan Home Birth midwives.

I'm over in Kalamazoo. I am having trouble finding them.

Alison79 November 20th, 2009 10:49 AM

I joined a local parenting board and asked for recommendations.

inyourhonor November 20th, 2009 10:55 AM

How far are you willing to travel?

I am finding one in Sturgis and I think that there are a few in GR.

eta - Here is a link for midwives in the GR area Pregnancy and Childbirth Choices Homebirth Midwives in the Grand Rapids Area

Also there is Linda Healey and Kim Woodard in Battle Creek. I'm trying to find some sort of contact info for you. Here is the website Home Page

TeresaSuperMama November 20th, 2009 11:42 AM

I found one! OMG! I am so excited! Please say she will see me! She is a Certified Nurse Midwife too! (Not that it matters to me, but that will definitely make it easier to get dh on board!) I left her a voicemail so hopefully she will call me back soon so I can bombard her with questions. I sent an email to another midwife as well, but I really want to see a CNM since I know CNMs can prescribe medication and that will make things so much easier for me!

PixieQueen November 20th, 2009 01:02 PM

Awesome! I hope she calls you back soon!

I asked a local post-partum doula for a list of midwives who did homebirths. Turns out the lady that assisted at my first DD's birth had finished her certification! Of course, we didn't figure that out until we were talking on the phone, because I had been in labor land and totally remembered her name wrong. :blush: So out of the list of names I randomly managed to pick someone I knew and really liked. Yay!

Twinkle November 20th, 2009 01:40 PM

YAY I'm so glad you found one!! I know everyone is different, but it was important to me (and more so DH) for us to have a CNM as well. We actually went with a two midwife team...one is a CNM and other is a CM. I'd never know the difference when it came to my care, but it was important to DH just for reasons like prescribing medicine and ease of getting reimbursed from our insurance company.

lhug_nar November 20th, 2009 02:42 PM

I found my midwife at a Natural Health Expo about a month or so before we started TTC.

WishingStar November 23rd, 2009 07:53 AM

That's great that you found one. Hope you like her. I also did internet searches to find the midwives in my area.

HappyHippy November 24th, 2009 07:35 PM

I found mine on the internet. I'm in Minnesota and I typed in 'homebirth in MN' and came up with a lot of links to Midwives associations in MN with links to both homebirth and hospital based Midwives.

fitnut November 27th, 2009 10:49 AM

I also looked online. I googled it and found many many links. I looked at a lot of midwives' websites (sort of feeling them out) and called 4-5. I ended up interviewing 3 and chose the one I felt the most comfortable with - that is, they were all very professional and experienced, but one in particular I felt the most at ease with and really liked her energy. I felt when labor came I would be comfortable with her presence at my birth, which I firmly believe should be an important factor for choosing any L&D professional whether it's a doctor or home birth midwife.

jenni_48760 November 28th, 2009 10:41 AM

Just saw this post but a while back ago when i was HOPING to have a home birth I found this site Michigan Midwives Association ~ http://www.michiganmidwives.org ~ MMA Go to the dirrectory and you should find one in your area. HTH and I hope you have better luck getting Dh on board than i did. GL TTC

Effervescence November 29th, 2009 10:44 PM

I hope that you are able to convince your DH about this midwife!

I did a google search a while before we got pregnant, and I found my midwife's website. Then when we got pregnant, I asked around in my Natural Parenting group, and got recommendations. There were a few midwives in our area, but I liked knowing that the one I chose came recommended by several other mothers. We're in Toledo, but couldn't find any midwives in Ohio so we have to go to Michigan (which is about fifteen minutes down the highway for us) In all it takes us about a half hour to get to her, but she's also the closest!