JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Now I'm afraid she won't see me, trying not to worry (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1787760-now-im-afraid-she-wont-see-me-trying-not-to-worry.html)

TeresaSuperMama November 30th, 2009 04:51 AM

Now I'm afraid she won't see me, trying not to worry

Okay, I emailed 2 CPMs before finding the CNM that I made an appt with. Well, one CPM emailed back and basically dismissed my concerns about hemorrhaging and acted like the meds I got were just standard. (I know they weren't standard because the plan was to not have an IV in and I didn't have one in until after I started hemorrhaging and I also know what my hemoglobin levels were.) Anyhow, the second midwife emailed back yesterday and this is what she sent me.

Quote:

From the information gathered from your e-mail you are at a higher risk
for a homebirth. Furthermore I can understatnd your husband's reluctance in considering homebirth as an option of care.
From my experience the responsibilities involved in having a successful
homebirth entail the support of the husband and that the pregnancy be low risk.
I have finally got my dh on board, all be it reluctantly, and now getting this has me really discouraged. I have never considered myself high risk and never been transferred to the doctors from the midwives in my practice. I am really hoping because she is a CNM and can bring meds to the delivery that she will see me. It hadn't even occurred to me that she would not see me. Have any of you had any experience with being turned away from a midwife? Can you all keep your fingers crossed for me that she will see me? I really want to do this now and have got my heart set on it.

wifey2kevin November 30th, 2009 07:26 AM

Re: Now I'm afraid she won't see me, trying not to worry

i've never been turned away so i dont have any experience there but i hope it all works out!

Kelllilee November 30th, 2009 08:22 AM

It doesn't sound like she's saying you're "high risk" but that you are at a higher risk of problems with a homebirth. Seems like maybe she is just letting you know so that you can make the best decision...

TeresaSuperMama November 30th, 2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelllilee (Post 18128941)
It doesn't sound like she's saying you're "high risk" but that you are at a higher risk of problems with a homebirth. Seems like maybe she is just letting you know so that you can make the best decision...

I'm hoping you're right. I think a homebirth with a CPM would be a no go, but hopefully since CNMs have access to meds for hemorrhaging I won't have any problems. I go next week for a preconception appt so I should know something soon. That is the only concern I have about having a homebirth and what kept me from pursuing this idea sooner.

Twinkle November 30th, 2009 10:52 AM

I think your decision to go with a CNM over other midwives is important and smart given your history. I hope the CNM you are meeting with next week can help you and answer your questions and concerns.

WishingStar November 30th, 2009 06:46 PM

I'm considered higher risk and seeing a midwife.

TeresaSuperMama December 1st, 2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WishingStar (Post 18136726)
I'm considered higher risk and seeing a midwife.

Thank you! That makes me feel better. My appointment is one week! It can't come soon enough. I feel like I can't really join in over here like I want to until I get a green light from someone to take care of me.