JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Paps and other tests (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1806379-paps-and-other-tests.html)

Effervescence December 15th, 2009 05:48 PM

Paps and other tests

I'm overdue for a pap and a general gyno exam. I know I need to go, but I'm afraid of a confrontation with the doctor about having a homebirth planned. Any advice?

TeresaSuperMama December 15th, 2009 06:04 PM

Re: Paps and other tests

This is one thing that I like about seeing a CNM. Mine does well women care as well so I am lucky that she can do my paps too! Maybe you could go to a family practice doctor or a nurse practitioner? I don't know. Perhaps your midwife can give you a referral to somebody?

Effervescence December 15th, 2009 06:27 PM

I am seeing a CNM as well. Someone told me that she would do everything like that at the first exam, like an OB would, so when we went to the first visit I was expecting it. I wonder if I have to request it. I just took another look at her website, and it does say that well woman care is offered, so I bet if I tell her I need one she will do it at our next visit in a couple weeks.

LOL Sorry, I guess that answered itself.

WishingStar December 15th, 2009 07:31 PM

My midwife does it too :D

Kelllilee December 15th, 2009 07:32 PM

a lot of midwives prefer not to do paps during pregnancy. Many do them at the 6 week post partum appointment.

lhug_nar December 15th, 2009 08:31 PM

My midwife does them but won't do it until the post-partum appointment.

CameraLinds December 15th, 2009 08:46 PM

My MW does it too. Had one at 6 weeks PP

Alison79 December 16th, 2009 07:21 AM

My midwife also does them at the 6 week post partum visit.

TeresaSuperMama December 16th, 2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelllilee (Post 18325220)
a lot of midwives prefer not to do paps during pregnancy. Many do them at the 6 week post partum appointment.

That's when I was planning to have mine done as well. I'm a bit overdue as well, but I am just not that worried about it.

inyourhonor December 16th, 2009 09:53 AM

I am def overdue for a pap but unfortunately don't have insurance to go and I don't believe my midwife does them.

jhmomofmany December 16th, 2009 09:56 AM

Just in case any of you ladies didn't hear- they've updated the recomendations regarding how often women should get paps... I don't have a link handy, I just heard it on the radio a couple of weeks ago. :)

Effervescence December 16th, 2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Why is that? I didn't know this

lhug_nar December 16th, 2009 01:55 PM

With pregnant women the pap comes back abnormal sometimes and then that just leads to more testing. Pregnancy hormones can change results of pap tests and that's why my midwives don't do paps until the 6 week PP.

catherineclare December 16th, 2009 09:16 PM

My midwife isn't a CNM and she does them. I just had one monday at my 10 week PP appt.

HappyHippy December 17th, 2009 02:32 PM

Just wait until you are done being pregnant, and then schedule a pap smear. If you feel the need to get one during pregnancy then just don't tell the OBGYN of your plans, just say you need a pap smear. Normally a nurse does them, so I don't have to see a OBGYN unless it comes back abnormal.

wifey2kevin December 17th, 2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

ditto this! i don't see any reason to aggravate the cervix during pregnancy. even if it puts me over a year since the last one, i always wait till my 6 week appt.