JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Younger Children and homebirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1809293-younger-children-and-homebirth.html)

Twinkle December 18th, 2009 08:21 AM

Younger Children and homebirth

I know we've discussed it before, but what are your thoughts on the involvement of your younger children and your homebirth plans. Will they be present? Do/did you have someone on hand just for the children? For our BTDT mamas, is there anything you would have done differently?

TeresaSuperMama December 18th, 2009 09:29 AM

Re: Younger Children and homebirth

Dh is a party pooper so the kids will be going elsewhere. Besides I think with us having 6 kids it will be harder for him to be at my side if he is chasing or fussing at kids. I wouldn't have minded them being there, but I am okay with them going somewhere else as well.

Kelllilee December 18th, 2009 09:45 AM

I've had my kids at my last two births and it was a great experience. Wouldn't change anything :)

I had my sisters there to take care of them and they really enjoyed seeing the baby being born.

jhmomofmany December 18th, 2009 11:02 AM

I was in labor with Thomas during the day, the main mw missed his birth b/c she had left to fetch one of her daughters to babysit. She had offered to bring her daughter, but I don't know if she forgot or what.

With Mary my labor started in the middle of the night and she was born around 5:30 a.m. long before the kids were up.

This time around I wouldn't mind having my older daughter stay with us if she wants to. We'll have to talk about it as the time gets closer. But I don't think I'd want the boys in the same room. For whatever reason I tend to strip naked during transition, and I think that would make them uncomfortable. (We're so puritan, LOL)

Twinkle December 18th, 2009 12:59 PM

Lily and Julia slept through Kate's birth. I did have a friend on hand during early labor who was there for the girls. Once they went to bed, she went home. Julia woke up around 6am, and Kate was born around 2am... DH was really tired, since we didn't get to bed till around 5 or so. We ended up calling his mom and she came over to spend time with the girls so DH and I could rest. I think that was the hardest part after the birth... to have DH so tired, and even though I had that adrenaline rush, I couldn't really care for all the kids.

I am concerned about that again this time. I want the girls there for the birth and after.. but I'm worried that DH will be really tired again. Maybe I'll luck out and have a baby at 7pm, so then we can just all go to bed. LOL

lhug_nar December 18th, 2009 01:38 PM

We're planning on having both boys here for the birth as long as Robbie isn't in school... I'm not going to pull him out of school just to be here for the birth. We'll have our doula look after them if need be and we've got back up people to take them if needed.

PixieQueen December 18th, 2009 02:12 PM

My friend and my mom traded off with Tanith. I wished I could have heard her myself, but friend told me that while I was pushing, Tanith was saying "Look there's my baby coming out!" "Look, it's the baby's toes!" "The baby so cute!" She still says the last phrase all the time and hugs and kisses her sister. :wub: I loved that she got to see the birth. She was very angry when the paramedics took "her baby" away and kept asking where they took her.

HappyHippy December 18th, 2009 04:03 PM

Hunter will be here during the birth.

~Jackie December 20th, 2009 12:38 PM

Kailey woke up about 5 or 5:30 and Nola was born shortly after 6 so she saw the hardest part of my birth. When I pushed her out in one push I screamed my head off and that scared Kailey but DH and I explained everything to her and she's ok with it now.

She watched Look Who's Talking or Look Who's Talking Too (the one where the little girl is born) and when they were in the hospital and the Dr.'s took the baby away Kailey was so confused. I explained that that is why Mommy had Nola at home, because nobody should take mommy's baby away. LOL! Now she explains it to daddy all the time.