JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Talk me off the ledge! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1810017-talk-me-off-ledge.html)

crazytown December 18th, 2009 08:35 PM

Talk me off the ledge!

Well I've been planning a homebirth since day 1 of this pregnancy but as my due date nears I'm growing increasingly nervous about being at home and wanting drugs and not being able to survive. I know it's stupid, but with my DS1 I was induced with Pitocin and tethered to IV antibiotics and fetal monitoring (pretty much everything but the c/s)

I was sure I was in transition from the pain of the contractions, but I was only 3cm dilated when they checked me with my DS. At that point I succumbed and begged for an epi.

Has anyone had both an induced labor and then gone on to have a natural birth experience that wasn't so... errrr... intense (at least at 3cm!)

Kelllilee December 18th, 2009 08:55 PM

Re: Talk me off the ledge!

You can do it!! My homebirth was with my 3rd baby and by far the most intense labor! It was really hard to maintain my composure during it. But at the same time it was easier because I was able to completely feel at ease and allow myself to focus solely on the labor.

There was very little "interference" (occasional doppler readings and exams), but no worrying about people I didn't know coming in and out, no one was making me do anything I didn't want to. Monitoring the baby's heartbeat was done in whatever position I was in, exams were done when *I* wanted them done. Even though there were some minor distractions, they were normal everyday things and didn't really bother me.

Let yourself labor the way your body needs to. Don't fight it and do what your body is telling you. If you need to move, move! If you need to make noise, do it! That's the beauty of homebirth, no one is going to tell you NOT to do what your body needs.

TeresaSuperMama December 19th, 2009 05:06 AM

I have never had a homebirth, but I have had natural childbirth. I assure you that you can do this. I won't lie labor is very intense no matter whether you are induced or not, but if you go into this with a good support system it makes a world of difference. And knowing that you can do it and really believing that you can makes a difference too. I think it's normal to have fear of pain. Don't let fear hold you back from having the birth experience you are hoping for.

Twinkle December 19th, 2009 10:29 AM

You can certainly do it! Trust yourself and trust birth. I had pitocin contractions with my first birth and it was far worse than any natural labor contractions. Teresa is right, labor hurts no matter what, but what pitocin did to me was ridiculous... no breaks between contractions whatsoever. With my natural labors I had a couple minutes in between contractions, and I LIVED for those brief moments of peace. Kellliee is also right, that being in your own home makes a world of difference as well. Being in my own comfortable environment helped with the pain and discomfort as well. Lots of hugs to you. What you are feeling is sooo normal. I went through a phase during my pregnancy where I questioned my choices as well, I think its normal for us to do that.

catherineclare December 19th, 2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkle (Post 18367604)
You can certainly do it! Trust yourself and trust birth. I had pitocin contractions with my first birth and it was far worse than any natural labor contractions. Teresa is right, labor hurts no matter what, but what pitocin did to me was ridiculous... no breaks between contractions whatsoever. With my natural labors I had a couple minutes in between contractions, and I LIVED for those brief moments of peace. Kellliee is also right, that being in your own home makes a world of difference as well. Being in my own comfortable environment helped with the pain and discomfort as well. Lots of hugs to you. What you are feeling is sooo normal. I went through a phase during my pregnancy where I questioned my choices as well, I think its normal for us to do that.

DITTO to everything Twinkle said! I still to this day remember my pitocin, never ending, no break, doubling me over pitocin contractions. I just wanted to cry through them all.....my natural home birth labor contractions hurt, but I genuinly don't remember them..LOL. I had a break between them and during those breaks I was chatting with everyone around me. I had a very painful labor this time around, but it was due to a cervical lip, baby not descending because his hand was by his head and cord wrapped around his neck, so my midwife literally had to hold open my cervix with almost her whole hand, the entire time, BUT I got through it...and when it was done, it was done and I was laughing.

You can do this!!! It's normal to get those nerves right before, but just keep telling yourself that your body was made to do this...naturally, with no drugs. Good luck...it will be a truly amazing experience you will never forget:)