JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Do you have a back up plan? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1810317-do-you-have-back-up-plan.html)

TeresaSuperMama December 19th, 2009 09:00 AM

Do you have a back up plan?

I have been thinking I should read up/write up a back up plan for myself should my midwife not make it to the delivery on time. I have a history of 3 hour labors and she is an hour and a half away. Have you thought about what you would do if your midwife doesn't make it on time?

wifey2kevin December 19th, 2009 09:56 AM

Re: Do you have a back up plan?

i never had a back up plan just because my midwife lived literally less than a mile away.

Kelllilee December 19th, 2009 09:57 AM

ours gave us a sort of cheat sheet on what to do if the baby comes too fast, very helpful.

Twinkle December 19th, 2009 10:32 AM

Ours gave a cheat sheet as well and would be with us on the phone if not in person. My midwives are ones to come by during early labor, check us out, then leave and hang out locally to us waiting for another phone call. In fact with my last labor, I was in early labor all day, my midwives came over around 8 or 9pm to check me out, then I was going to bed, one of my midwives decided to spend the night just in case (I was 41 weeks at the time) and the other was going to work on a few charts then leave Not even 2 minutes after I layed down was I in hard active labor! Kate as born a few hours later.

I don't have quick labors, it just isn't in the cards for me, LOL. My best friend however does have quick labors and one of the midwives didn't make it to her birth. My friend said she tried her best not to push while the midwives were on their way over. Her baby as born 12 minutes after the first midwife got there!

flamingpeachfish December 19th, 2009 10:44 AM

My last labor was 4 hours total, and only about an hour of it was serious... I tried talking to my midwife about it because she's about a half an hour away with good roads, but she kind of brushed it off... wasn't real happy bout that.

I just have this picture in my head of being home with my two year old and my husband is at work, and I'm supposed to be getting my daughter off the bus, but instead I'm surprise pushing out a baby so fast I can't even get to the phone... scares the crud out of me, but no one seems to want to take me seriously.

But I guess if it's just dh and me, we have the birth kit here, and he has his bare bones "How to deliver a baby" instructions, which are- 1) Catch the baby. 2) Make sure the baby is breathing. Guess that will have to do.

lhug_nar December 19th, 2009 01:17 PM

Ours gave us a cheat sheet of what to do if she wasn't able to make it here before baby was born. It also is nice though because DH is an EMT so he has gone through all the OB training that is basically the cheat sheet.

Alison79 December 19th, 2009 07:15 PM

My midwife has talked a few Dad's through catching the baby when she wasn't able to make it due to a very fast birth. She lives very close by so I'm not worried about it but I will also have a doula and my DH on hand and I have no doubt they will be able to figure it out if needed :)

flitabout December 20th, 2009 09:11 AM

Well if this baby decides to make and early quick entrance I am really hoping that I have someone here! My niece said that she is come in from Ohio. I asked her because my kids adore Shelby. She is a bit immature but a sweet kid she will be 19 when the baby is born. I also have the back up of another really young girl 19 but I think I would most likely be screaming for her mom! If DH is on the road when this peanut arrives I am pretty much on my own! With 3 kids that will be 7, 4, and 2. I really have no other back up I guess I would be heading to my local hospital!

~Jackie December 20th, 2009 11:19 AM

I never thought about this with Nola. Kailey was born in the hospital with the same MW... For both births she came over as soon as I called her. She was going to leave to another appt. when I was pregnant with Kailey and laboring at home. My mom was excited and wanted me to be checked before my MW left...We didn't think I was far at all because it was the easiest funnest labor ever... well I was 7cm so needless to say she didn't leave.

With Nola I had pre-labor for about 24hrs or something (my birth story is around here somewhere) and it still never occurred to me what would happen if my MW wasn't there... I was completely comfortable delivering myself.

I'm thinking we will do a UC next time because I only have 2 options of MW where I am at... my previous one who I don't click with like I want, and another one who is a lay midwife and I don't click with her either. I think I can convince DH to do a UC because we live literally across the street from the hospital.

Whenever I've researched birth I guess I've always done it with the mindset of doing it myself so I feel pretty comfortable. It's just never been a worry of mine. We'll see what I say when I get preggo again and have to do it by myself - I'm sure I'll be scared to death. LOL!

HappyHippy December 20th, 2009 02:48 PM

My Midwife gave us a "What if baby comes before the Midwife" sheet. Very informative, and DH and I will be catching baby ourselves anyway we aren't too worried (MW is there to make sure things go smoothly). Our Midwife is 1 hour 45 minutes away from us, and this is our 2nd, so she said to call right away and not to wait. My last labor was 27 hours, so I dont think this one will be under 5 hours, but you never know.

jhmomofmany December 21st, 2009 07:54 AM

This happened to us with Mary, but we weren't too worried b/c we had studied a lot when planning a UC previously. I really think instinct takes over, a lot of what needs to be done is common sense. DH helped catch Mary but he had a bit of experience from catching Joseph and Thomas and helping me with Hope.

My mw missed Mary's birth by about 30 minutes- I guarantee this time she'll be on her way the *first* time I call! :lol:

crazytown December 21st, 2009 05:38 PM

I have a doula who was at my 1st birth, I suppose if it came down to it her and DH would catch the babe.