JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Considering a Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1861704-considering-home-birth.html)

danischmell February 3rd, 2010 08:27 PM

Considering a Home Birth

Hi ladies!
I'm considering a home birth. I had my first at a birth center, it was a water birth and went pretty quickly, and pretty smoothly. I'm preg w/ #2. We had planned on doing it this time with a different midwife in a hospital. I'm 21 weeks along. We just found out our insurance only covers the hospital in our area that doesn't allow midwives to deliver there. Now I'm faced with choosing a birth at that hospital with a doctor I've never met before, or going with a home birth with our original midwife from our first birth who I really liked.

I loved my water birth and can't imagine giving birth another way. (the hospital doesn't allow water births). First time around I spent the day before in slow labor contractions and then woke up from a nap the day of at 3pm in serious labor, got to the birth center a little bit before five. I was dilated to a 5 and the pain was so great, I didn't think I could make it.. the second I got in the water the pain lifted immensely and I had her an hour later. So I think I'd make a pretty good candidate for a home birth.

I'm not sure why I'm hesitating with the home birth, I just read a thread about how it's about the same as my birth center birth really.. I'm wondering if its just the left over societal pressures.. not wanting to be that crazy lady who gave birth in a kiddie pool in her living room.. lol, or if its something deeper.. I guess I'm just wanting to hear other peoples experience and advice.

thanks for listening! Sorry If that was way more info than you all needed, lol
I'm so excited to find this forum! Yay for natural birth women!

Kelllilee February 3rd, 2010 11:55 PM

Re: Considering a Home Birth

I was in your same situation not too long ago. My second baby was at a birth center and was a waterbirth. As soon as she was born I couldn't quite figure out why I went there instead of staying home. So when baby #3 came along I just went with a homebirth and I'm so glad I did. It was wonderful! The birth center actually closed soon after Nola was born so my only option for a waterbirth was at home.

I can understand the hesitation, but I'd maybe sit down and figure out what exactly is making you hesitate, then call and make an appointment with a midwife to go over all your questions/concerns.

How does your husband feel about a homebirth?

Twinkle February 4th, 2010 12:02 PM

I had to giggle a bit about your comment about being one of those crazy ladies who gave birth in their living room in a kiddie pool. That was one of my thoughts when I was considering my homebirth as well... and wouldn't you know it... that is exactly how I gave birth... in my living room in a kiddie pool. I guess I came full circle. LOL

Anyways....

I think that you need to think long and hard about exactly is holding you back in your deciding whether or not to home birth. Birth centers are provided with the same equipment that a midwife would bring to a home birth. Obviously if you are going with an unlicensed midwife, that might be different, but normally speaking... a midwife who delivers in a birth center will bring the same equipment to a home birth.

I'm also one to water birth, and have never had a natural birth outside of the water. When I got pregnant my 3rd time, I had a similar decision to make. I had different insurance that didn't cover the midwife or birthing center that I had my 2nd daughter at. The only hospital available to me did not allow water birthing and I had a very bad experience there with my first. So I went with the idea of a home birth. I met with a couple different midwives before to get a feel for it and see if it was a good fit for me.

Lots of luck to you! Please stick around!!

danischmell February 5th, 2010 01:57 PM

my husband is actually very on board. He got really into everything when we took the bradley classes with our first three years ago. It's been so cute to watch him care so much and get all outraged. If I remember correctly I think he might have been the first one to bring up the possibility of home birth. He was reading the stats on hospital births with midwives and wasn't as impressed as the stats on home birth. I feel very lucky to have him be so supportive.

I've been reading a bunch of the assisted home birth stories and they are so great.. really increasing my desire to have a home birth!