JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Exercise and Diet (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1868091-exercise-and-diet.html)

Effervescence February 9th, 2010 11:48 AM

Exercise and Diet

Does your midwife require you to exercise and follow any kind of diet? I she does, (or even if she doesn't) what do you do for physical activity, especially those of us in snowy areas? What kinds of things about your diet is your midwife concerned about?

My midwife wants me to get a half hour of exercise a day. She is perfectly fine with me using the Wii for exercise, since I have a one year old, and it is pretty icy outside. She doesn't really accept that I consider climbing stairs to do household chores as exercise- but I live on the lower level of a three level house. I do stairs A LOT. I mean A LOT. We're talking like two sets of stairs 15-20 times a day, usually either chasing or carrying Jonah, or a good 10 pounds of laundry. I am usually out of breath after doing chores, so I think that should count, right?

She's really concerned about the amount of protein I get, but I know it's a non-issue for me. I do eat a diet that is more "flexitarian" (little to no meat for each meal) but I have been a vegetarian for over ten years, and a vegan for two, so I really have learned how to substitute certain foods for protein. I eat a lot of nuts, yogurt, mushrooms, tofu, lots of stuff and now I eat a little bit of meat to compliment the meal. I don't think I could ever eat it as a main course... She is making me write down what I eat though. She says it's not so much for her to monitor what I'm eating, but for me to be aware of what I'm eating, and I guess I can appreciate that. Personally, I'm more concerned about getting enough iron and b-12. And at my last visit, we discussed how I can balance my calcium to magnesium intake, because I've been having really bad leg and foot cramps. It's really helped with the cramps!

Sometimes I'm envious of my friends who are pregnant and eat what they want and sit on the couch all day with the excuse of "I'm making a baby" LOL I wish I could not care sometimes. But I know that isn't healthy at all, and can't even pretend like I don't care.

Twhylite21 February 9th, 2010 12:32 PM

Re: Exercise and Diet

Mine don't require anything, but they did ask me to keep a food log for 2 days just to see that I'm eating okay. And they said it'd be good to exercise daily if possible. I usually walk about 5 miles a day around the neighborhood with Lily in her stroller and I count that for my exercise.

jhmomofmany February 9th, 2010 12:53 PM

Re: Exercise and Diet

My first had dietary recommendations that she expected me to pretty well follow. My midwife now seems to trust that I know how to handle myself.. I still follow a lot of guidelines the first mw gave me, such as alfalfa and prego tea for supplementation and 2 or 3 eggs per day.

As far as exercise goes, I never exercised regularly for any length of time until after Mary (now 2) was born. At that point I started working out and before this pregnancy I was used to working out 5-6 days a week for about 300+ minutes per week. I reduced the amount I was doing in the 1st trimester out of necessity because I was so (literally) sick and tired. But I've been back to what I was doing before for the last several weeks, and feeling great. I do a combination of cardio, strength training, yoga, and stretching; I try to get at least 30 minutes up to 90 minutes nearly every day. For me, I don't consider my normal household/outdoor chores to be exercise, and winter is a slow time of year on the ol' homestead anyway. In the spring when I have a garden to put in and firewood to help split and stack, I'll probably let myself slack off the exercise to compensate.