JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   distance to transfer if necessary? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1878140-distance-to-transfer-if-necessary.html)

oriel13 February 17th, 2010 04:42 PM

distance to transfer if necessary?

How far are you from the nearest hospital?
What would be the farthest/longest transfer you'd be comfortable with?
Has your midwife (if you're planning assisted) ever handled an emergency transfer?

We recently decided to move and each house we have looked at is farther from town than the one before it. The house we finally chose has a hospital with L&D about 30 minutes (16 miles) away.

I don't know how I feel about that. I know the chance of a true emergency requiring an immediate transfer is slim and for that reason I'm not too worried, sure I'd like to be closer but oh well. I know my DH is getting anxious about that though. He decided this week to start voicing some of his what-if concerns, and for him it all boils down to how fast we can get help. And he's doubting my midwife because she's been practicing a few years but has never had a client who needed to do an emergency transfer, he thinks she can't handle something happening I guess. I wish I could get him in to talk with her but he's the kind of person who will always expect the worse and it's starting to shake my own confidence.

marialena February 17th, 2010 06:30 PM

Re: distance to transfer if necessary?

How far are you from the nearest hospital? I live about 7 minutes from the hospital. It is a little less than 3 miles away.
What would be the farthest/longest transfer you'd be comfortable with? probably 30 minutes
Has your midwife (if you're planning assisted) ever handled an emergency transfer? Yes she has had a few emergency transfers and she said we would just call the ambulance and she would provide emergency care until they got there. She has had over 2000 births in the last 30 years.

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...#ixzz0fqjxXWIE

Kelllilee February 17th, 2010 08:19 PM

How far are you from the nearest hospital? 4 blocks
What would be the farthest/longest transfer you'd be comfortable with? maybe 10-15 minutes
Has your midwife (if you're planning assisted) ever handled an emergency transfer? The transfers she had had when we talked were not true "emergencies" where time was crucial, they were mostly for pain relief or prolonged labor/stuck baby.

Sk8ermaiden February 17th, 2010 08:47 PM

How far are you from the nearest hospital? 7 miles - 15 minutes - 10 if we speed.
What would be the farthest/longest transfer you'd be comfortable with? 20 minutes
Has your midwife (if you're planning assisted) ever handled an emergency transfer? Oh yes. That was an important thing I asked. She has handled about anything that can happen in birth - abruption, cord prolapse, uterine rupture, and never lost a mom or baby. SHe has an emergency transfer about once every 2 years.

Pyrodjm February 18th, 2010 02:21 AM

How far are you from the nearest hospital?There a few hospital within 10 minutes of us by ambulance if it is truly an emergency. It's about 30 minutes to my preferred transfer hospital.
What would be the farthest/longest transfer you'd be comfortable with?30 minutes.
Has your midwife (if you're planning assisted) ever handled an emergency transfer? Yes, for various reasons.

Earthy.Mama February 18th, 2010 06:12 AM

We live across the street from the hospital so we probably won't have a MW next time, I'm not sure.

Twinkle February 18th, 2010 11:26 AM

We are about 10 minutes (if that) from a hospital with L&D. I'd prefer to go to the hospital that is 25 minutes away, but if its a true emergency, we'd obviously go to the closer one. I think I'd be comfortable with a hospital being about 20 minutes away... much longer and I might get nervous, or at least DH would.

My midwives have about a 7-8% transfer rate, and only 2-3% are true emergencies. Other transfers are for prolonged labor, where the mother wants pain relief, etc. Of the 2-3%, they are evenly split between postpartum issues with mom and baby, and labor problems. We've been over the what ifs before with our midwives and are happy with their answers and their experiences.

Twhylite21 February 18th, 2010 07:33 PM

How far are you from the nearest hospital? About 7-8 minutes from the closest and about 20-30 from the one tied to my insurance. My insurance will cover any emergency at another hospital though
What would be the farthest/longest transfer you'd be comfortable with? Probably 20 minutes
Has your midwife (if you're planning assisted) ever handled an emergency transfer? Yes, their transfer rate is about 3%. The vast majority (98%) are non-emergencies and generally it is because the mom is asking for pain meds, is too tired, etc. They have had a few emergencies though

Effervescence February 18th, 2010 08:50 PM

It's about a half hour both from our house and the birth center. I think we could make it in 15 or 20 minutes if there is no traffic and if we (cautiously) blow red lights