JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   How are you dealing with the cord? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1879208-how-you-dealing-cord.html)

lilflower February 18th, 2010 12:48 PM

How are you dealing with the cord?

Are you using clamps? A cord band? A tie? Waiting long enough so that it has sealed itself?

CameraLinds February 18th, 2010 03:27 PM

Re: How are you dealing with the cord?

after DS stopped pulsing the MW put a clamp on it and one of those elastic tie things and Dh cut the cord (shot cord), so all it had was the elastic band. We have his cord still too :)

Kelllilee February 18th, 2010 04:20 PM

my MW clamps it long and then ties it off later.

Lonomia February 18th, 2010 05:17 PM

I had a lotus birth with my son and by the time we cut the cord off (about 24 hrs later) it had sealed itself.

Twhylite21 February 18th, 2010 08:30 PM

We will wait for it to stop pulsating and then clamp it.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori February 18th, 2010 09:00 PM

when kayori was born, my midwife didn't make it to the birth, the assistant yanked a shoelace out of one of my shoes and tied the cord right away, she then cut the cord, after my midwife showed up, she cut it shorter and put a little band thing on it

I am going to wait until the cord quits pulsing this time and have it clamped and cut

soImarriedAnerd February 19th, 2010 07:33 AM

waited for it to quit pulsating then clamped and cut it.

Here2Give February 19th, 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonomia (Post 19111914)
I had a lotus birth with my son and by the time we cut the cord off (about 24 hrs later) it had sealed itself.

It isn't a lotus birth if you cut the cord at all. Lotus births are when you practice non-severance.

My daughter had a lotus birth and we kept her cord and placenta intact until it fell off on its own.

vegaburm February 19th, 2010 01:37 PM

We cut the cord, using a clamp after a few minutes since my LO didn't want to breathe and we needed to take him over and give him some Oxygen. we would have waited longer, but wanted to get him breathing. :)

Adam&Kaydence'sMommy February 19th, 2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilflower (Post 19107756)
Are you using clamps? A cord band? A tie? Waiting long enough so that it has sealed itself?

We'll probably just tie it with a string then wait for either the placenta to come out or for it to stop pulsating.

Twinkle February 20th, 2010 09:50 AM

We clamp it and cut it after it stops pulsating.

Alison79 February 21st, 2010 11:30 AM

I'm pretty sure that last time we waited for the placenta to deliver and then it was clamped and cut. I don't remember for sure because we had a tornado coming through town so it was done in a rush to get downstairs and in our closets - LOL!

tygrss February 21st, 2010 12:51 PM

We waited for it to stop pulsating, then my midwife put a plastic clamp on the side nearest his body and surgical clamp on the other side. Then DH cut it. Nothing overly special.

Nightkd February 23rd, 2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison79 (Post 19144680)
I'm pretty sure that last time we waited for the placenta to deliver and then it was clamped and cut. I don't remember for sure because we had a tornado coming through town so it was done in a rush to get downstairs and in our closets - LOL!

:lol: Fortunately with LO due in June, it should be warm enough that we won't have to worry about Tornadoes....though now I've said that.... :rolleyes:

We're planning to wait until the cord has stopped pulsing I think...I'm really just wanting to wait until we feel the time is right to cut it. :) I had considered a lotus birth, but with it being our first baby...it's just a bit too much hassle having to 'look after' the placenta as well as the baby!!

x