JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   What surprised you most? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1890744-what-surprised-you-most.html)

Twinkle February 27th, 2010 02:42 PM

What surprised you most?

For our veteran or BTDT home birth mamas.... What surprised you most about the home birth experience?

Kelllilee February 27th, 2010 05:27 PM

Re: What surprised you most?

hmmm... not really sure anything "surprised" me

Sk8ermaiden February 27th, 2010 05:37 PM

How totally manageable labor was.

tygrss February 27th, 2010 06:54 PM

The super birth high. DS1 was born with the same midwife at a FSBC and the birth was great. However, the high that I am STILL on after my home birth is just out of this world. It was so peaceful and so intimate that I can't even begin to describe it. Just awesome.

CameraLinds February 28th, 2010 05:09 AM

I know that birth high! It's an awesome feeling!! such a proudful feeling, can't wait to experience it again!!

I think what surprised me most was how well I did for how long labor was and not knowing what to expect.

Earthy.Mama February 28th, 2010 06:39 AM

How boring it was ( I think that had to do with me not completely loving my midwife though).

How utterly and instantaneously exhausted I was as soon as she popped out.

Alison79 February 28th, 2010 09:14 AM

How easy it was to manage non-pitocin contraction (I had never had NCB before my home births). I remember feeling exhausted after Reid was born but fabulous after Eleanor was born. I love how wonderful it felt to be at home after birth and let everyone care for me - it was truly a babymoon :)

^RaineDrop^ February 28th, 2010 10:59 PM

Feeling everything lol. I will *NEVER* forget what it felt like to stretch open, for lack of a better way to put it!! :lol: I was coming down from being numbed when I pushed so I didn't feel it full force. It is QUITE the sensation.

Lonomia March 1st, 2010 09:58 AM

How my body just went through its own process without any interventions or exams.

inyourhonor March 1st, 2010 12:05 PM

That I could actually give birth vaginally. That my body was NOT broken and I was capable of doing it!

Oh and my hate for the toilet when in labor. I despised it so much haha.

Aeterna March 1st, 2010 02:47 PM

Nothing, really. I expected the birth high. Mine was crazy. Everything leading up to it was boring. But the labor/birth itself left everyone in complete shock. My midwife had never seen anything like it. Not peaceful or serene (the ideas I had in my head).

Isaeph March 3rd, 2010 07:25 AM

How different they can be. I've had two UCHBs and they were totally different. With dd I had bh contractions like crazy for most of the pregnancy, and especially the last weeks before her birth. Then I woke up in the middle of the night to go pee and had a totally different contraction. I had no clue what a TRUE labor contraction would feel like since I was induced with ds1, but I knew right away that it was baby time. Labor with dd was pretty quick, only 4 1/2 hours from the contraction to my last push. Ds2 was completely different. He was posterior with a nuchal hand and labor started Sunday evening and didn't end until later afternoon Wednesday.

I was surprised at how much of labor I could tolerate alone. With dd's 4 hour labor I spent the first 2 alone before I woke dh up. With ds2's labor, I spent all but the last 2 hours alone when I really needed dh to squeeze my hips with all his strength. I was also surprised to learn that it's quite easy for me to get to 4-5cm, but going from 5-6 takes a while...I was 4-5cm dilated when labor started with both of them, and spent the majority of labor getting to 6cm. Once I get to 6cm, I go quickly. I was also surprised at how much easier it was to push once my water was broken. I tried pushing with it intact both times, but was not impressed and broke my water and the baby came out pretty quickly.

My favorite thing about homebirthing (besides not sharing those precious first days with strangers)...life went back to normal pretty much immediately. I was up and making breakfast and taking care of the kids. The day after dd was born dh had to go back to work. Homebirth makes birthing normal and a part of our everyday life.

CameraLinds March 3rd, 2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inyourhonor (Post 19266809)
That I could actually give birth vaginally. That my body was NOT broken and I was capable of doing it!

Oh and my hate for the toilet when in labor. I despised it so much haha.

I despised the toilet sooo much in labor too!!!!!

crazytown March 5th, 2010 05:17 AM

I was surprised at how EASY non-induction contractions were to get through. I was in excruciating pain at 3cm with Pitocin and I didn't get that feeling until transition and even then, I at least had breaks between them.

I was also surprised to learn that the "urge to push" isn't much of an option like the term suggests LOL - your body will do it with or without your mind's consent!

MrsPil March 5th, 2010 09:10 AM

I didn't expect it to be so boring and easy, and I really didn't expect people to annoy me so. freaking. much. I mean really, all I wanted was for everyone to STFU and go away.