JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Stress and labor (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1912395-stress-and-labor.html)

Adam&Kaydence'sMommy March 17th, 2010 03:05 PM

Stress and labor

Do you think being under a lot of stress can keep you from going into labor?

My previous post talked a lot about how I'm under a lot of stress from my OB and if I should keep seeing her. Its seems like when I'm under a lot of stress all the cramping I have slows down and stops for a few days afterwords. So what do you ladies think? How much does us being under stress affect our babies?

MrsPil March 17th, 2010 03:35 PM

Re: Stress and labor

I'm a firm believer that birth is hindered by stress. I can't tell you how many women I've known who only went into labor after they took care of the emotional issues that were stressing them out.

Twhylite21 March 17th, 2010 04:01 PM

i think stress can hinder labor as well. i've read a few birth stories where labor stalled out because the mom was super stressed, once she was able to get closure then labor picked up again.

Adam&Kaydence'sMommy March 17th, 2010 04:52 PM

I've heard some of the same things about stress and fear stalling labor. It makes sense for the baby to not want to be born into that sort of environment or for the mother's body to not want to give birth in it.

I really do think all the stress is affecting me :( Through out my pregnancy I had a feeling that today, March 17th, would be the day. Until Monday when I was put under a lot of stress by the doctors and I knew that it would probably be at least another week.

I'm having menstrual-like cramping but no contractions. They are not timeable or getting more intense in any way. I feel like things are progressing and labor will happen soon but I'm pretty sure all the stress has set it back at least a few days. Probably more.

sodagirl March 17th, 2010 05:34 PM

I think stress can slow things down for sure - my experience is with miscarriage - but it's still a mini labour.
Sooo - how can you relax? I mean acknowledging it is definitely a good start :) A walk? Candles? Baths? Your favorite dinner? What do you need to do to feel better and safe?
I'm sending you good labour vibes and internet hugs! I hope your little one comes good and soon - and you can feel less stressed out.

Adam&Kaydence'sMommy March 17th, 2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodagirl (Post 19481256)
I think stress can slow things down for sure - my experience is with miscarriage - but it's still a mini labour.
Sooo - how can you relax? I mean acknowledging it is definitely a good start :) A walk? Candles? Baths? Your favorite dinner? What do you need to do to feel better and safe?
I'm sending you good labour vibes and internet hugs! I hope your little one comes good and soon - and you can feel less stressed out.

Thanks :) I'm really starting to think that the only way for me to be less stressed to not see my OB anymore unless I think something is wrong.

Effervescence March 17th, 2010 09:21 PM

If an animal like a dog or a horse is stressed while laboring, her body will actually stop labor until she can get to a "safe" location. I think it's a survival method. Back in the day, stress meant DANGER, and why would our bodies give birth in a dangerous situation. So yes, I think stress can slow down, or even put a halt to labor

Adam&Kaydence'sMommy March 17th, 2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effervescence (Post 19483723)
If an animal like a dog or a horse is stressed while laboring, her body will actually stop labor until she can get to a "safe" location. I think it's a survival method. Back in the day, stress meant DANGER, and why would our bodies give birth in a dangerous situation. So yes, I think stress can slow down, or even put a halt to labor

I completely agree. I grew up on a farm and I saw this kind of behavior from animals all the time.

inyourhonor March 18th, 2010 05:51 AM

I definitely believe stress can be a hinderance to labor.

I really hope you're able to relax and be less stressed so baby can come out. I'm sure you're becoming very anxious to meet them :)