JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Pediatrician (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1915640-pediatrician.html)

Effervescence March 20th, 2010 06:13 PM

Pediatrician

Our pediatrician knows that we are having an out of hospital birth, and she is fine with it. I asked her when we should make an appointment after the baby's birth, and she said any time within the first three weeks of the baby's life. How long do you usually wait to take Baby to be checked by the pedi? I'm kind of thinking that I want to take her within 48 hours of her birth. But that's because I really like our pedi and trust her not to push things on me. The pedi didn't think she needs to see her so soon. Am I just being paranoid? For those who have btdt, when did you take your baby to the pediatrician for the first time?

inyourhonor March 20th, 2010 06:44 PM

Re: Pediatrician

Your midwife should come do a home visit the day after and then probably 3 days after birth. Then you'll see your pedi around 6 weeks. My midwife still checked out Dane at my 6 week post partum visit and we were released to see his pedi after that. She took care of him until the 6 week PP visit.

I don't think she needs to be seen so soon because like I just said more than likely you'll still be in your midwifes care.

Have you discussed this with your midwife?

Effervescence March 20th, 2010 07:47 PM

I have not, I just thought about it tonight that it seemed like three weeks is an awfully long time not to have her seen. My midwife did tell me obviously that she will be taking the vitals etc soon after birth, but other than that she hasn't mentioned care for Evie, only for me. A visit 24 hours after the birth, and then in three weeks, for home visits, then a six week office visit.

inyourhonor March 20th, 2010 08:35 PM

I think the first time my oldest saw his pedi was around 4-5 weeks.

Is there any specific reason you're concerned about getting her in so soon?

Kelllilee March 20th, 2010 10:45 PM

My midwife does the first 2 weeks of newborn care. Kya went to the pedi first at 2 weeks.

HappyHippy March 21st, 2010 11:32 AM

Most Midwives will do infant care for the first couple of weeks. If there is something specefic that you want done that your MW doesn't do then I can see going in (Like the hearing and eye test, or vaccines). We're going to take baby to see the Ped. around 2 weeks or so, mostly because our son is going to have his 3 year check up and we'll have him check out babe too.

Alison79 March 21st, 2010 12:05 PM

My midwife does care for me and the baby for 6 weeks postpartum. I usually bring the baby in to see our Ped at about a week old just because we love our Ped and she always loves meeting the babies right away.

MrsPil March 21st, 2010 02:37 PM

M has never been to the pediatrician, we don't even have one, just a family practitioner (who she has also never seen). We did take her to the chiropractor the Monday or Tuesday after she was born (she was born on a Thursday... babymooning blur, sorry) because she was a little gassy and jumpy.

*TOTALLY OT* Most of it was at my moms prompting. I'm really hoping she won't be around to "help" so much this time - I'm realizing a lot of things that I though were good ideas at the time were just nuisances dictated to me by her fears.

laisydaisymama March 21st, 2010 04:02 PM

I will be planning on taking baby to the dr around 2 weeks old unless myself or my midwife sees a need before that. Right now I am trying to decide what to do about circumcision....

Twinkle March 21st, 2010 06:20 PM

My midwives take care of all the newborn health needs during the first 6 weeks. I think we brought Kate to the ped around 4 or 5 weeks last time, I plan on doing the same thing this time as well.

Aeterna March 22nd, 2010 05:44 AM

Henry was 5 days old when we took him in.

Pyrodjm March 22nd, 2010 02:15 PM

My midwife does not do the newborn screening (PKU) so we took DD in on day 6. We waited until my milk was in to make sure the screening was accurate.