JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   circumcision?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1916378-circumcision.html)

laisydaisymama March 21st, 2010 05:06 PM

circumcision??

did you get your LO circumcised? How did you go about that? We found out we are having a boy, and I am pretty sure that since we circumcised our other 2 boys, that we will go ahead and do it with this one too. I need to talk to the dr about it, our 2nd DS was in the NICU and didn't get his done until he was almost a month old, so I assume it will be the same....just an outpatient procedure.

inyourhonor March 21st, 2010 05:15 PM

Re: circumcision??

Jason still wants Dane done. His doctor said she only gives the referrals after a year old. Well when he turned 1, you know what happened to him. So its been put off.

You'll probably have to talk to your doctor. It'll more than likely be like Kyles where its an out patient. I know that we would have to get a referral from his doctor to a urologist.

Twinkle March 21st, 2010 07:18 PM

I'm not sure how something like that gets scheduled. We are having a boy but choosing not to circ. I'm sure your pediatrician will be able to help you. Good luck!

Isaeph March 22nd, 2010 06:21 AM

With our 1st son we had him circ'd at the pedi when he was 3 weeks old, even though he was born in the hospital. With ds2 we didn't circ, but I suppose we could have just called a pedi and scheduled it that way.

Aeterna March 22nd, 2010 06:23 AM

Hell no. I didn't leave the decision up to my husband. It isn't his body and the data doesn't support its routine practice. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Before I knew better I was more neutral. I wouldn't allow my husband to make the final decision. I don't give rat's a** of he has a penis. None of my children need their genitals cut.

CameraLinds March 22nd, 2010 07:00 AM

We left him intact- how he was born~

Alison79 March 22nd, 2010 09:00 AM

Only one of my sons is circed. If I were going to do it I would use a local Rabbi who comes highly recommended by my midwife.

HappyHippy March 22nd, 2010 09:04 AM

I'd talk to your Pediatrician about it and see what he/she says.

Hey There March 22nd, 2010 09:54 AM

I just scheduled and appointment with a family doctor and she did it in her office. It took awhile to find someone to do it, though. A lot of the places would only do it under anestesia and I wouldn't do that. It really didn't make sense to me since they don't put them under to do it in the hospital. The other problem I ran into was the fact that he never got the Vitamin K shot and they were worried about bleeding (even though he showed no signs of clotting issues). In the end, we found her and it was super easy, quick and I don't regret my decision at all.

catherineclare March 22nd, 2010 11:34 AM

We used a Jewish mohel for my son's circumcision. My midwife had one she recommended..he was also a pedi. Since we aren't Jewish we just made an appt to come to his office instead of him coming to our home. Mohels usually do them from 1 week to 1 month old. So, when Ben was 2 weeks we took him in. I stayed with him in the office while he did it, my hubby was in waiting room with our other son. He cried for about a minute and then the mohel/doc handed him right back to me and he was all better. It healed beautifully in about 2 weeks and we never had any problems with it. If we have anymore boys I would definitely use a mohel again, no question. Ask your midwife she might know of some. Oh and just so you know it probably won't be covered by insurance. Ours wasn't and we had to pay out of pocket $300 for the procecedure. I have heard even medicaid in some states have quit covering it.

Sometimes I feel (at least in the online community) that I am the only female that has actually chosen circumcision for my sons without leaving it up to my hubby.

laisydaisymama March 22nd, 2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catherineclare (Post 19530990)

Sometimes I feel (at least in the online community) that I am the only female that has actually chosen circumcision for my sons without leaving it up to my hubby.

I chose for our sons and verified that it was also what DH wanted. If I had felt strongly against I could have gotten him to agree. There are many great points for not doing it, and I don't see anything wrong with either choice. Circumcision is what I want for my boys.

HappyHippy March 23rd, 2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catherineclare (Post 19530990)

It does seem like that sometimes, but I hear a lot of women making the choice.

flitabout March 23rd, 2010 09:59 AM

I will be having this baby circumcised. His daddy and his big brother are done. It was more stressful on me than my last ds. Daddy will be taking this baby to be done.

crazytown March 23rd, 2010 07:15 PM

We chose to leave DS intact but friends of ours who birthed at the hospital had already been discharged when their son was done, so I guess you just make an appt. I would speak to your midwife about it. I`m sure she has referred folks before.