JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Have you ever? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1925183-have-you-ever.html)

Twinkle March 29th, 2010 12:09 PM

Have you ever?

Have you ever attended a friend's birth? How was it? Did it shape your views?

Kelllilee March 29th, 2010 12:37 PM

Re: Have you ever?

no, I was supposed to, but there was a communication issue. I'd love to attend someone else's birth, but the opportunity hasn't arisen.

Twhylite21 March 29th, 2010 12:48 PM

Not yet. None of my friends have kids yet. I joined a mom's group after Lily was born and made some "mom" friends, but I'm the first to have a 2nd baby and most of them had c-sections anyway.

My best friend is thinking of TTC soon and she's already asked me to be at the birth when she does have a baby.

GranolaMamaOf3 March 29th, 2010 02:09 PM

I have been Doula for several clients, but my first birth to attend, was with my oldest sister when she gave birth to her first, my niece. It was soooo amazing! It was a very long (36 hours), complicated home birth, but I was so touched by the whole experiences! It was empowering to say the least! Almost as if I thought to myself, if she can make it through this, I can too! and I knew from then on, that natural childbirth (and home birth if possible) was the only way for me!

Twinkle March 29th, 2010 05:07 PM

I haven't, but I would love to.

Sk8ermaiden March 29th, 2010 07:25 PM

I did, and it shook my faith in birth completely. My own daughter's birth was hard enough, but I could write it off as pure bad luck. Watching my best friend do everything right and be in so much pain for so long and end up in the hospital....it made me question everything I believe about birth, especially when I consider her birth and mine together.

inyourhonor March 29th, 2010 07:30 PM

No, but I would love to.

laisydaisymama March 29th, 2010 08:14 PM

I have been through many births now, as a doula for about 7. It's an amazing experience and has shaped not just my views for my own births, but my future and career as well!

oriel13 March 29th, 2010 08:55 PM

No, I never have. I don't know if I would want to attend a hospital birth though (unless it were my best friend or SIL), I would probably end up getting upset about interventions being pushed or if the mom hadn't bothered to research beforehand.

flitabout March 30th, 2010 08:31 AM

No but I was present for my friends c/s and I think that had a definite effect on my choice to vbac and to make sure I do it at home. I suggest that all first time moms get to watch a c/s and then see how they feel about all of those "un" necessary interventions.

BobbityBoo March 30th, 2010 08:40 AM

No I haven't. I think it would be a really cool experience. But I agree with some PP, that if it was a hospital birth where interventions were getting used I might have a hard time with it. If it was my sister then I would be there anyway though, to support her as long as she wanted me there.

soImarriedAnerd March 30th, 2010 09:45 PM

Most of my highschool friends births I attended. Only one with an epi and she has permanent damage from it!