JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Birth Tub or Paddling Pool? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1927448-birth-tub-paddling-pool.html)

Nightkd March 31st, 2010 10:21 AM

Birth Tub or Paddling Pool?

I'm looking into birth tubs atm and La Bassine looks like my fave so far....I have, however, been reading that some women use 'fishy pools' - eg kids paddling pools and find they work just as well. I'd much rather be paying $30 than $130!!!

This is the sort of thing I'm looking at:

Buy an Aquarium Inflatable Kiddie Pool for $29.99

Any insights at all? People who have or are going to use this or something similar? Is it really worth spending the extra hundred bucks for La Bassine??

xx

Twinkle March 31st, 2010 10:30 AM

Re: Birth Tub or Paddling Pool?

I used that exact tub for my first home birth, the fishy pool. I don't know how tall you are, but I don't think it would work if you were tall. I am 5 1 and it worked ok for me. I wished the water was a bit deeper and this time I am renting the Birth Pool in a Box from my m/ws
NEW! Birth Pool In A Box

I spent all of my hard labor time in the tub, so about 3 hours. I figured for $70 more this time I could have a bit more comfort. Don't get me wrong, the fishy pool does its job, but I wanted something a bit more supportive and deeper this time.

Nightkd March 31st, 2010 10:34 AM

Thanks for your post :) I was just about to add I'm petite at 5'2" so don't need anything huge...

Was it a case of the pool not being deep enough itself? Are the sides supportive enough to lean on, or did you find they sagged too much??

x

flitabout March 31st, 2010 10:44 AM

Not sure myself I am looking at both and the only difference I can see is that it of course doesn't have a liner and the plastic is a little thinner but that's it.

Kelllilee March 31st, 2010 10:46 AM

never heard the term paddling pool... LOL

one thing I REALLY liked with the la bassine was the padded floor. I too would worry about the supportiveness of the sides with a kiddie pool, but it would probably do just fine

Nightkd March 31st, 2010 11:29 AM

Thanks girls. I've actually found a cheap liner that might work with this pool...else I can keep looking and probably find something that would work.

I guess I could put some folded up towels underneath the pool too, for a bit more comfort?

I might print out the details of both pools and either take them to my MW appointment tonight, or email them to her and ask what she thinks (she must've had experience with lots of different kinds of pools!)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelllilee (Post 19642888)
never heard the term paddling pool... LOL

Lol! It's probably a British thing... :rolleyes: ;)

x

PurpleTurtle March 31st, 2010 11:42 AM

I highly recommend AGAINST the paddling pool.

A pool that is designed for birthing is much more usable for that purpose. It will have secure hand holds, foot grips, many have enough space for your partner to get in with you should you prefer, no problems with being able to rest your full weight (or your partner and/or midwives weight) on the sides if need be, and most importantly they are deeper!

I think you will find the depth of the water to be the biggest issue. You need to fill it up deep enough that when you are sitting on the floor the water reaches above your breasts and nearing your collar bone. This provides enough water to create sufficient buoyancy. If you do not have this buoyancy, you will not get what you seek out of a water birthing experience! It is the water holding your own body up that will calm baby, calm you, raise your body off a hard surface to relieve pressure on your hips and spine, and through these things ease birthing pains. It is important that your belly is fully submerged, too, so that even and equal pressure is placed on your bump to soothe jangling nerves. On a lesser note, a paddling pool is not deep enough to retain sufficient heat for as long as you probably will want -- and chills added to labor pains are not something you want to mess with! Padded floors are easy to create for yourself -- just add towels.

I realise I sound quite forceful on this, but I do know a fair amount. However, don't take my word for it. Talk to several qualified midwives and ask them in person or by phone, where you can counter with new questions that may arise. Most that I have known are very happy to ask questions, and love to encourage mothers towards alternative methods than the hospital practices when it is not necessary for mother and child safety to have critical intervention on hand.