JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Magical Postpartum Pads! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1961444-magical-postpartum-pads.html)

GranolaMamaOf3 April 29th, 2010 07:30 PM

Magical Postpartum Pads!

These sound heavenly!

In the March-April '10 issue of Mothering mag, there was an article all about cloth pads! I bought myself a diva cup a month or two before I became pregnant, and really liked it, but obviously, I won't be able to go back to using that right away! So I'm going to make myself some cloth pads...

Anyway....She listed a "recipe" (for lack of a better term) for Magical Postpartum Pads!
"Right after my son was born, I found comfort in triple-layered overnight pads of cotton flannel, doused in a home brew of which hazel and essential oil, encased in foil, and stashed in the freezer. Every time I put one on, it was like a slice of heaven on earth."
...It reminded me of what I used in the hospital (those instant cold packs, and Tucks/witch-hazel pads) which was wonderful!....only these sounds even better!:2thumbsup:

~Magical Postpartum Pads~
The natural ingredients in these soothing pads will help reduce swelling and ease discomfort after childbirth, you can use cloth or disposable pads, per your preference.

Here's what you'll need:

*Over night maxi pads of your choice
*Witch hazel (distilled extract, available at drug stores)
*Lavender essential oil (not perfume)
*Aloe vera (the edible liquid, not the topical ointment; look for it at natural food stores)
*Aluminum foil

On each pad, pour 1 Tbsp of witch hazel, a dime-sized dollop of aloe-vera liquid, and 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil. Wrap each pad in aluminum foil and store in freezer. Use as needed.

CameraLinds April 30th, 2010 12:20 AM

Re: Magical Postpartum Pads!

TFS!

Isaeph April 30th, 2010 07:58 AM

Wow, that sounds awesome! I make my own pads (and LOVE LOVE LOVE the Diva Cup). I'll have to try that this time.

HappyHippy April 30th, 2010 08:11 AM

Cool, I have some cloth pads and panty liners that I bought at our whole foods store.

Effervescence April 30th, 2010 05:59 PM

Thanks!

PinkFireFly May 1st, 2010 08:19 PM

Awesome recipe... really wish I had these 5 month ago!!

One thing I don't get is the tin foil???

GranolaMamaOf3 May 2nd, 2010 11:48 AM

I kind of wondered about that too...I'm thinking it's just a way to store them(?)...Any other ideas ladies??

Effervescence May 2nd, 2010 06:59 PM

I thought it was just a way to store them in the freezer and keep them from losing their shape or sticking to each other. I know in my freezer, things get knocked around quite a bit, and I could imagine the pads getting all scrunched up without the foil

GranolaMamaOf3 May 2nd, 2010 07:12 PM

Good point! Hadn't thought about the scrunch factor!;)

c'est_la_vie May 5th, 2010 06:35 AM

Yeah, I think SO might be a little upset if I had a pad frozen to his beloved burritos, :rofl:

Thanks SO much for sharing! I'm doing this for sure!

GranolaMamaOf3 June 8th, 2011 07:39 PM

:bump:

These pads came up in conversation over in the Green Mommies board, so I thought I'd find this post and bring it back up in here....I figured it could be helpful to some :)

I used them after my last birth, and they were WONDERFUL! I ended up laying a sheet of foil in between each pad and stored them in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. They were very soothing, and smelled great!

The only thing I would say is to make sure you change them out often, and maybe even wear a dry pad in between wearing cold ones so you aren't "wet" all the time...otherwise you will become irritated. (speaking from experience here...)

Alison79 June 8th, 2011 08:24 PM

Those sound amazing!

Linz L-I June 10th, 2011 06:36 AM

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!