JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Water Birth Question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2080026-water-birth-question.html)

Vandertramp August 21st, 2010 05:48 PM

Water Birth Question

I had an appointment with my mid-wife and she said for most people who do a water birth, they stay in the tub to deliever the placenta, though she said it I want to and feel up to it I move after the baby and deliever the placenta elsewhere. I definately remember how much "stuff" came out of me the first time and do not think I want to "stew in my own juices" for 20 min or so waiting for the placenta. For those of you who had water births, what did you do and if you moved in between how did it work "logistically".

Thanks,

Rachel

Tiff802 August 21st, 2010 06:44 PM

Re: Water Birth Question

When I had a waterbirth, I delivered the placenta in the tub, it wasn't bad at all. I didn't focus at all on anything other than the baby and enjoying the high that I had. But, dh made a comment afterward about how gross the water was and asked if it bothered me. I was like, "No, it all came from me." LOL However, that was a hospital birth. My new midwife that I will be using for my homebirth told me that she usually delivers the placenta out of the water so that she can see and inspect it better. I have no problem doing that.

Twinkle August 21st, 2010 06:57 PM

I've had 3 waterbirths and with each, I did not deliver the placenta in the tub. With the 1st waterbirth, it was in a hospital based birthing center and their policy was to get out of the water after the baby was born... with my 2nd, a homebirth, she had low (a 4/5) apgar scores right away, so I was told that I had to get out the tub right away. With this last birth, the placenta took about 20-30 minutes to deliver and I personally wanted to get out of the tub after about 20 minutes. The placenta was delivered after I stood up before I layed down in bed.

Kelllilee August 21st, 2010 11:51 PM

my last 2 were waterbirths and both times the placenta was delivered in the tub. With Nola the tub was drained before it was delivered, with Kya they just scooped it out. I got out of the tub fairly soon afterwards. It didn't bother me sitting in gunk - there wasn't much blood though, lots of vernix. But my skin was SUPER soft for the next few days!! haha

both times I was in the tub about 15-20 minutes. I tend to deliver the placenta after about 10 minutes or less, so it's kinda hard to maneuver somewhere else in that time especially if baby is still attached

CameraLinds August 22nd, 2010 03:24 AM

I delivered the placenta in the tub...they starting draining the water after DS was born as his cord was short and the water level was high....there was maybe 6-10in of water in the pool when the placenta was delivered almost an hour after DS was born. I plan and hope to do the same this time, especially since DS had a short cord it would have made getting out of the tub very difficult and I am guessing this lil guy will have a short cord as well.

Earthy.Mama August 22nd, 2010 02:37 PM

I delivered the placenta standing up while in the tub. I don't know how long after having Nola, but I do know I felt rather rushed and it didn't happen on it's own -_-

c'est_la_vie August 22nd, 2010 08:22 PM

Wow, I never even thought of this.. I just remember with Megan that my water broke & she was there so soon after that I was laying in everything for a good 15 mins before they had a chance to break down the bed - Yeah, my midwife caught Megan without any gloves or anything, she came FAST, but I don't know if I would want to get up right away - I guess it would depend.

Motherbird August 22nd, 2010 09:07 PM

I had one waterbirth where I delivered the placenta in the water..with just a gentle cough a few short minutes after baby...and one water birth where I delivered the placenta outside the tub. I think delivering in the water felt more natural and super easy. Both births were attended by a physician.

But I've heard that it could be cause for infection if delivered in the water. I know that has also been readily disputed. But I did develop a pretty bad uterine infection after the one birth. May or may not have been related to the underwater delivery of the placenta, but it did make me wonder...

Vandertramp August 23rd, 2010 09:24 AM

I thnk I am going too assess at the time, but all things being equal, it the stiuation allows for it I am going to get out of the tub to deliever the placenta. We have a huge shower right next to the tub with a ledge to sit or lean on and I think I may just try to deliever the placenta in there.