JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Placentas! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2112765-placentas.html)

c'est_la_vie September 23rd, 2010 06:41 PM

Placentas!

What did you do with yours?

Just curious..

We have no real desire to keep it.. And when my Midwife said the disposable process was pretty much stick it in the freezer & then wait till trash day to toss it - I thought wow, thats kinda violent LOL.. Like a sad end to such a wonderful organ..

But then she said that if I choose I can donate it to a lady who uses them for training dogs. I forgot the whole process already - but its a really great cause & IMO such a happier end.

Martha83 September 23rd, 2010 07:57 PM

Re: Placentas!

some people just dig a hole and bury it...I think this would be the way I choose to do it. It can be made into capsules that you can take daily after the birth for PPD...adn other reasons too I think....I'm not sure I'm on that wagon, yet LOL...but I think burying it would be fine....I think it'd be neat to plant a tree/plant of some sort...and bury it next to that....anyway....seems better than throwing it out on trash day...or giving it to dogs...eek

c'est_la_vie September 23rd, 2010 08:34 PM

They don't feed it to dogs, LOL. Its training of some sort, I need to look better at the info she gave me but yeah. We don't even have grass here. We're on a 3rd story flat in the middle of Chicago.

bre4thewin September 23rd, 2010 08:47 PM

Encapsulating it. I had a little bit of PPD with my last and consuming the placenta really helps with that...and milk production, and helps quicken recovery time. It also helps balance hormones. The placenta pills can be frozen and saved for menopause...i hear they help a tone with that.

inyourhonor September 23rd, 2010 08:55 PM

Okay my freezer has 2 placentas in it that I have to remind people are not food when they go looking for frozen meat.. mainly my mom :lol: You'd think she'd remember which is which!

We will be waiting until spring to thaw them and bury them with tree's. Bishop was born to late in the year to plant a tree and Dane was born during a snow storm so it went in waiting and we didn't plant it early because we had a bunch of house issues going on.

Kelllilee September 23rd, 2010 11:36 PM

we encapsulated Kya's. The others were disposed of by the hospital and birth center.

Twinkle September 24th, 2010 05:07 AM

I was considering encapsulating it, however Paul was born at 37 weeks, and I really thought I had another month left of pregnancy, so therefore I wasn't really prepared. LOL My midwives had a student that took it and it was used by a midwifery class for research. Apparently, according to my midwives, my placenta was kinda cool. LOL

CameraLinds September 24th, 2010 06:37 AM

We'll be encapsulating it ourselves. DS#1 was encapsulated by our MW and it majorly helped with my supply, recovery, sleep, energy and hormones/mood! So I know it will help this time! :)

bre4thewin September 24th, 2010 06:40 AM

Thats awesome Linds! My midwifes asst does it. She also does an print and a heart shaped unbilical thing...part of a package. Post partum was rough for me last time. Actually i think i was out of my mind a little. Just so scarred of messing up and wanting to do everything right. so much anxiety, i was afraid to put her down! Im really hoping this helps. I feel like i lost the first 4 weeks with her!

c'est_la_vie September 24th, 2010 06:45 AM

Oh and I re-read the paper, its to train search & rescue dogs. I think thats pretty neat. I also thing we wouldn't have the money to encapsulate it I wanted too.

Martha83 September 24th, 2010 06:53 AM

how do you do it yourself?

c'est_la_vie September 24th, 2010 07:27 AM

I found this

How to Encapsulate a Placenta | eHow.com

GranolaMamaOf3 September 24th, 2010 07:30 AM

We have ours in the freezer. I had a bit of PPD with DS1, so I'm keeping it as a sort of a back up. So far I've been doing really good, but I still have a lot of help, and I'm never alone...so we'll see...If I don't end up needing it encapsulated, I'd rather not spend the money on it. Not sure what we'll do with it if I don't use it. Maybe plant a tree over it.

c'est_la_vie September 24th, 2010 07:39 AM

I would LOVE to plant a tree with it.. But that would just not be possible. Plus we move to Florida at the end of Jan & I would hate to never see the tree again.. Not to mention we just have a small freezer and I'm not sure how SO would feel about a placenta in there - plus, How would I move to Florida?

SIGH! I wish I could save it.

CameraLinds September 24th, 2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha83 (Post 21620357)
how do you do it yourself?

It's really easy! (As so it sounds and from what my friend tells me) The supplies to do it are cheaper than paying someone to do it as well.
-a steamer basket
-a pot
-size 00 empty capsules
-a pestel and mortar or blender or coffee grinder
-a lemon, ginger root, pepper and if you want/wish to add any dried herbs
-an empty glass jar
-oven
-baking tray

you don't need a dehydrator an oven on the lowes temp works just fine ;) It's best to do the encapsulation within 48 hours after birth, keeps more of the nutrients, etc. If your going to do it within the 48hours keep it in the fridge in double ziploc bags or a bowl with a sealed lid....longer than that should put it in the freezer but then you have to let it thaw for a full 24 hours before you clean and steam it.

peaceful parenting: Happy Pills! Placenta Encapsulation

HippyMomOf4 September 24th, 2010 09:08 AM

DH and I decided to bury it and plant a tree on it

Martha83 September 24th, 2010 12:41 PM

thanks for the info and links....I'm sure my dh would FLIP out if I did this...HA....but I'm not forcing HIM to take the capsules LOL

marialena September 26th, 2010 02:12 PM

We planted a cherry tree with Mariah's and we will do an apple tree with the new baby's placenta. It sat in our freezer for over a year though the 1st time...

HappyHippy September 27th, 2010 08:34 AM

I encapsulated mine.

CameraLinds September 27th, 2010 10:04 AM

like ur blinkie Jenn ;)