JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Screenings and Testing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2188982-screenings-and-testing.html)

Twinkle December 13th, 2010 05:43 PM

Screenings and Testing

What did you, or do you do, in regards to prenatal testing?

Alison79 December 13th, 2010 05:47 PM

Re: Screenings and Testing

I did routine labs but no genetic marker testing. We had one sono around 20 weeks and with Reid who went past 42 weeks I had one additional sono.

Sk8ermaiden December 13th, 2010 05:57 PM

I do the blood test in the beginning for anemia/stds. I do the 20 week ultrasound. I did the GD test even though I think it is stupid and I may or may not allow it this time. I did/will do a NST at 41 weeks. I did GBS, but also think it is stupid. I will probably do it this time, but cheat it to make sure it is neg.

OwensMommy25 December 13th, 2010 06:06 PM

I do all the prenatal testing because of multiple losses. I don't do the std tests or any paps/vaginal exams until 38 weeks.

bre4thewin December 13th, 2010 07:16 PM

normal blood work and the quad (dh insisted), 20 week ultrasound. Skipping the GD this time and just going to start testing my blood around 26 weeks...i had GD with my last.

sugary~snails December 13th, 2010 09:28 PM

All except the genetic marker tests. Oh and no internals until due date or labour

HippyMomOf4 December 14th, 2010 05:20 PM

Labs but no quad screening ill do GD is she wants me too same with gbs. I had one early u/s because She couldn't find the hb and I was freaked but ill have another at 20 weeks

CameraLinds December 15th, 2010 05:02 AM

just blood tests...mainly multiple blood checks since I'm Rh - and DH is Rh + and we had a loss. They don't do GD testing here or strep B- I would have denied them anyways.

Aeterna December 15th, 2010 05:27 AM

I consented to the first trimester screening with Henry. I had three ultrasounds at a MFM practice. It was imperative that we cover our basis and rule out any issues as Duncan had multiple heart defects that went undetected when I had the level II anatomy ultrasound.

I opted for the GBS, but it turned out her swab was expired. I did the Hibiclens wash about a week prior to his birth.

She never offered to screen me for impaired glucose tolerance. My midwife with Duncan never offered, but she did check my glucose at an appt. I checked mine on a regular basis with Henry.

inyourhonor December 15th, 2010 08:56 PM

My first I did all the screening, i didn't know any better. My 2nd we did blood draw for my iron that was it and then the 20 week scan. My 3rd, we just did the scan.

Martha83 December 16th, 2010 06:38 AM

I have an order for labs...but keep forgetting to do them....I haven't ever done any genetic screening. We do the ultrasounds at halfway....and we also do the GD and GBS testing...with the GD the midwives dont do it the way the OB's do...and it makes TOTAL sense. (food rather than sugar drink....prick of finger rather than viles of blood)....and we do the GBS because in case of transfer if there was no neg on file they'd consider me positive and it'd be a bigger mess of declining things....soooo we do it for that peace of mind...I've never had a posi GBS I just dont like doing the test....and since it'd help in case of transfer I do it.