JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Placenta Encapsulation (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2195068-placenta-encapsulation.html)

Twinkle December 20th, 2010 05:54 PM

Placenta Encapsulation

Is placenta encapsulation something you would ever consider or be interested in?

andi2284 December 20th, 2010 07:24 PM

Re: Placenta Encapsulation

I considered it with Anna and have already decided to do it with this baby. Since being diagnosed with PPD, I know I'm at risk of having it after this baby too. I'll probably wean off of my medication later in the pregnancy and I'm hoping to give that a try to help balance myself back out after the birth.

navywifey2003 December 20th, 2010 07:36 PM

Im going to do it. I know that someone posted a very detailed link to their blog when they did it. It had pictures of how to do it and everything. Does anyone remember what that was?

Kelllilee December 20th, 2010 10:31 PM

yes, we did it with my homebirth baby. But I saved the pills, didn't take them.

breathing for two December 21st, 2010 08:41 AM

This seems really strange to me. What are the benefits? And how does it work?
On both occasions we had to get rid of the placenta we froze and disposed. I'm curious about this.

Earthy.Mama December 21st, 2010 11:21 AM

I think it's wonderful but I just can't do it. I can't stomach it - no pun intended.

I believe you're thinking of Niamh - she had full blown pictures and all that when she did it!!

bre4thewin December 21st, 2010 06:52 PM

I had the baby blues with my first so i will for sure being this.

Martha83 December 22nd, 2010 07:49 AM

I think it's fabulous that something that is usually "trashed" is so useful...I dont typically go through PPD so I dont think I'll do it....DH would FREAK OUT if I did this...he already thinks I'm odd...but this would really make him sick I think....not that I'd have to let him know or get his approval if I wanted to do it...but lol...he just would not care for it if he knew....So that being said...we are not doing it but I think it's so wonderful that its' available for the gals that need it

Kelllilee December 22nd, 2010 09:13 AM

^ It's also useful for menopause. You can save the pills (freeze) until then and they act as natural hormone replacements.

Twinkle December 22nd, 2010 11:51 AM

I wish I had done this. I know Angela, soimarriedanerd, did this and posted it on her blog as well.

CameraLinds December 22nd, 2010 12:31 PM

i did it this time myself. with #! my MW did it. I have diections:

DIY directions on how to prepare your placenta for encapsulation at home:

What you need:
Plastic container with lid to store the placenta in the fridge (or a large freezer bag if not planning to encapsulate within 48 hours)
Steamer (metal steaming basket)
knife
cutting board
cookie pan/baking tray
wax paper
oven or dehydrator
blender/food processor/coffee grinder/pestle mortar
OO Gelatin Capsules
funnel or a pill capsulate machine
Glass jar with lid to store pills in
optional:
A lemon, sliced
Ginger root, sliced
Dried herbs (like red raspberry leaf, nettle, alfalfa)

Directions:

Once the placenta is delivered place it in a container in the fridge. If your going to take more then 48hrs to do the encapsulating then make sure to FREEZE it ASAP in a freezer bag. It will take around 24 hours to defrost in the fridge.

1. Wash excess blood/bloodclots from the placenta-

2. Place it in a steamer over water. Add the optional lemon and ginger slices and dried herbs. Steam for 15 minutes, turn, and steam 15 more minutes until no juice comes out when pricked with a fork. (Steam over low heat, it has a tendency to boil over and that's a mess.) The membranes and cord may be cooked with the placenta. It is helpful to wrap the whole thing inside the membranes when you cook it. It will shrink tremendously, and wrapped in the membranes makes it easy to deal with for the next step.

3. Cut off the membrane (its like chicken skin) and the cord.

4.After steaming, slice the placenta in 1/8" strips, similar to making jerky. Slice as thin as possible. Place the strips on a cookie sheet with wax paper and place it in a oven on the lowest possible setting around 160/170F for 6-8 (may take longer) until completely brittle-dry. Will snap in half easily, if tough/bendy/red it's not done. Using a food dehydrator is even better, but will take longer.

5. Grind the strips in a blender/food processor/coffee grinder/pestle mortar until fine as powder.6. Take the powder and encapsulate it in the 00 capsules.

7. Put the capsules in a glass jar and keep in the freezer. Take as many daily as needed. When you feel you don't need them, wean yourself off. Keep them, they are usual later on during menopause.

Link to Placenta benefits:
Placenta Benefits.info - Placentophagy Research

GranolaMamaOf3 December 23rd, 2010 10:56 AM

I still have mine from Conlan in the freezer. We saved it in case I ended up needing it, but never actually encapsulated it...I felt at the time I was coping fine without them, but looking back I wonder if they wouldn't have helped...There were times were I was just SO overwhelmed and stressed! I wonder if it would have helped? Anyway, I may still do it and keep them for latter on.

Oh, and yes, It was Niamh who blogged about it. Here's the link for anyone who's interested- pregnant_niamh: Our Placenta Encapsulation