JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Going on a Cruise, need a note (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2219480-going-cruise-need-note.html)

lrowe70 January 15th, 2011 10:30 PM

Going on a Cruise, need a note

Since this is our first child DH and I have decided to take a "babymoon" cruise.
Today we were looking over some details and found that the cruise will only let pregnant women onboard up to 24 weeks and only with a doctor's note.

I will be 18 weeks at the time of the trip but my DH says our midwife is not a doctor and they won't accept a note from her. :confused:
I have BIG issues with medical doctors and their offices, which is the primary reason for my deciding on homebirth to begin with. The thought of going to a medical office for a stupid note makes me ill. I'm already having nightmares of them poking at my cervix and then lecturing me on how I need a zillion tests and ultrasounds, shouldn't have a homebirth and need to go to their hospital...

Has anyone here ever needed a doctor's note for anything? Was your midwife an acceptable doctor?

bre4thewin January 16th, 2011 05:29 AM

Re: Going on a Cruise, need a note

If you Midwife is a CNM if should be fine I would think!

Martha83 January 16th, 2011 01:09 PM

You might try just handing them the note and not saying anything about whether it's a "doctor" or not...she's your primary care provider while pregnant...you need HER "permission"

Or if you aren't showing...I'd just not say anything maybe?!

lrowe70 January 16th, 2011 06:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

This is kind of frustrating, we had no idea these rules existed on cruises. Which by the way, is standard on all cruise lines. I can understand there being an issue with a woman who is near her due date, but 24 weeks! Ugh, we're just trying to take a relaxing vacation before our family life begins and all our time(and money!) is taken up with kids.

I have an appointment on Friday with my midwife so I'll bring it up then. I did just realize she sometimes works with an OBGYN, so if needed maybe she could get this note from him.

I considered just not saying anything, but they require the note be faxed before we step on the boat. Also I have no idea how my stomach may look then. Maybe I'll look pregnant, maybe I'll just look fat?

Twinkle January 18th, 2011 05:58 PM

I would think a note from your m/w would be fine... Good luck! Where is your cruise??

Martha83 January 18th, 2011 08:50 PM

well if the note is required before if you fax it in soon maybe you'll already have the "accepted or denied" in time to not worry much about it....HUGS....Hope you get it all figured out!