JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Popping in with a question... (Insurance Related) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2228420-popping-question-insurance-related.html)

MamaAnna January 24th, 2011 02:50 PM

Popping in with a question... (Insurance Related)

I'm not currently pregnant, but we do plan to have at least one more in the future and I'm strongly leaning towards a home birth after four hospital deliveries. What I'm wondering is if any of you have had your insurance cover any part of a home birth with a CNM or if it's pretty much always completely out of pocket? Thanks!

bre4thewin January 24th, 2011 04:01 PM

Re: Popping in with a question... (Insurance Related)

I have Tricare standard and they are covering 40%! More and more companies are so you should call and ask!

HappyHippy January 24th, 2011 04:13 PM

My insurance covered nothing.

HippyMomOf4 January 24th, 2011 04:40 PM

I have tricare standard as well so same as other poster

Kelllilee January 24th, 2011 05:04 PM

I was on medicaid and in my state they DO cover a homebirth, however the midwife I chose was not contracted with them, so it was out of pocket. There are midwives now that accept it though. I would call and ask.

MamaAnna January 25th, 2011 04:09 AM

Thanks. We use BCBS and I'm reading mixed things about them. Ours covers everything under the sun so I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath. KWIM? It's going to be a big factor in how hard it is to convince DH so I'm starting my planning really early!

Martha83 January 25th, 2011 12:19 PM

I would start by asking the midwives in your area what insurances tend to work with them. Mine is Aetna and they are kind of known for being against homebirth...so I am going to have to have my midwife just word it as "prenatal and postpartum care" I'm not sure if she can label anything else on there...so they'll pay for SOME of it but not tons...The rest will be out of pocket.

If you do ask your insurance yourself...I'd keep the word "homebirth" out of it until you hear THEIR stance on it so they done deny anything in the future...I'm overly cautious though...You could ask "what kind of midwifery services do you cover" or something....

Lucky Mama January 25th, 2011 09:03 PM

Our insurance isn't covering any of it, but we would be paying out of pocket any way (very high maternity benefits deductible), so this way is still TONS cheaper. And by "TONS" I mean thousands of dollars.

No harm in checking it out and seeing what midwife services they cover! ^_^

Twinkle January 26th, 2011 01:22 PM

My friend has BCBS and her homebirth was covered 100%.... so there is hope!

My births were covered about 80%.

Girls4me January 28th, 2011 08:00 AM

I have BCBS and nothing was covered. I guess this may vary by state.