JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   New to this board (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2232519-new-to-board.html)

mommy2olliebeans January 28th, 2011 11:17 AM

New to this board

Hi everyone :-)

I'm in the process of trying to make a decision whether to have my baby at home or in the hospital. I am seeing a midwife for this pregnancy for the first time ever and she has recommended I have a home birth or at least prep for one just in case due to my history of very fast labours.

I have two kids. Alex is 13 years old and he was born at 37 weeks gestation; I had a medical induction that lasted 3 hours and 48 minutes from start to finish. My daughter Grace (who has passed away) was born at 41 and a bit weeks gestation; my total labour with her was 2 hours and 3 minutes, and I arrived at the hospital with enough time to basically have my water break and deliver a baby.

So I need to do some research and get some ideas and opinions from others who have been in my shoes. I am really scared to do a home birth as I am very comfortable in a hospital setting where I know that help is just around the corner if anything were to go wrong.
I have a doula as well, and she has access to a birthing pool though and that is not helping my decision at all (as in a perfect world, I'd deliver my baby at the hospital in a birthing pool).....

bre4thewin January 28th, 2011 06:06 PM

Re: New to this board

Hi!!!!!!! So excited to see you here, ive missed you!

Girls4me January 28th, 2011 06:45 PM

Hi! I am new to this board as well but not to homebirths. I am planning for my
3rd birth at home now. You may be amazed at how relaxed you can be at home without having to get into a car and drive across town while in pain. Maybe you can find some facts about the safety of home birth to help ease your mind about the possibility? I am sure the other ladies may be able to suggest some really good reading related to homebirths as well.

andi2284 January 29th, 2011 06:46 AM

Welcome!
I'm not sure I can help, because honestly, I'm not very comfortable in a hospital setting. I would prefer to stay in the comfort of my home to have my baby and not have to worry about going anywhere. I had my last daughter at a birth center and it still added some stress to my labor to figure out when to leave then drive the 1/2 hour there. I just kept thinking "I just want to get there so I can relax". My last 2 labors were 8 hours and 6 hours, so I'm expecting this one to move along pretty quickly like the other 2 as well. I feel more comfortable knowing I don't have to risk having the baby in the car on the way there!
Have you talked to your midwife about what equipment she carries to help ease your mind about the "what-ifs"?

Twinkle February 1st, 2011 11:11 AM

Welcome to the board. I hope your midwife is able to provide you with some answers and you are able to make a decision of which you are comfortable with!

lrowe70 February 1st, 2011 10:26 PM

Welcome and I'm sorry I can't offer advice.
My decision to birth at home comes from my intense distrust of hospitals and doctors. However I will tell you that it's important for your health and wellbeing(and your baby) that you pick the place where you can be most comfortable. One thing is for certain about birth: the more stressed you are, the more difficult it will be.

I think it's great that you are doing research on all your options. Good luck to you.

baabaamilker February 2nd, 2011 12:44 AM

I also suggest doing lots of research to help ease your mind. If you have a Home birth once you will never want to go to the hospital again.

I might fit your criteria for offering advice. I've had two in the vehicle en route to the hospital because of fast labors. I really am not sure I'm in labor till I hit transition and that can be 20 to 45 minutes till birth of the baby for me. After two car births we just decided to stay home. I'm also a double VBAC mom.

Although delivering in the car was not the most comfortable position I would still take that over a hospital birth any day.

Do lots and lots of research, talk to your midwife heart to heart. Try to meet others who have had HB's in your area and see if that doesn't give you some peace about it all.

mommy2olliebeans February 4th, 2011 07:08 AM

Thank you ladies.

Baabaamilker - you sound similar to me in the fast labour area; transition is whereabouts I realized I was truly actually in labour. But omg, I could not imagine delivering a baby in the car, that is my biggest fear!

I have a doula now as well as the midwives, so I have been gathering a bit of small army of support people to help me in my decision :-)

HappyHippy February 4th, 2011 09:14 AM

Hi and welcome :)