JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2238919-support.html)

andi2284 February 3rd, 2011 07:30 PM

Support

Do you have anyone in your life (family or friends) who are supportive of your choice to have a home birth?

Do you have anyone who is not supportive of it?

Kelllilee February 3rd, 2011 08:55 PM

Re: Support

I have quite a few friends who are supportive, mostly from my AP parenting group of which most have had or considered a homebirth. Other than that, most of the people around me are accepting but not particularly supportive. I haven't had a lot of discouraging remarks, but some.

lrowe70 February 3rd, 2011 09:28 PM

We've only told about 3 people. So far so good!

HappyHippy February 4th, 2011 09:14 AM

Everyone was supportive of me.

Twinkle February 4th, 2011 10:00 AM

We didn't really have many family or friends that expressed their unsupportiveness with us. I know our parents weren't thrilled, but they knew we were educated to make our own decisions and never said anything... well other than my MIL's comment about how lucky we were that Paul didn't die because of the knot in his cord... what a stupid uneducated comment.

My best friend was probably the most supportive. She acted as my doula at both of my homebirths and also had a homebirth herself.

bre4thewin February 4th, 2011 02:21 PM

I think most are supportive and know that i educate myself before making a decision. Those who arent havent had the balls to speak up...lol

inyourhonor February 5th, 2011 10:05 AM

With my first home birth, no. My only support came from this board, my ddc at the time and my husband. Our families were worried (it was a planned hbac) and just thought we were down right crazy. They probably figured we'd cave.

Our 2nd home birth (2nd hbac, 3rd baby) they knew we knew what we were doing and kept their thoughts to themselves. I don't think most in our families will agree with it but they'll accept it.

andi2284 February 5th, 2011 10:17 AM

For now, no one has been unsupportive or at least made any comments to us. My mom seems very skeptical, but hasn't actually said anything yet. I already know if the subject comes up with my MIL though, she will make some stupid, uneducated comments about how unsafe it is. She's a very gullible woman who pretty much believes everything she is told and questions most of my parenting decisions.

The most supportive person right now is a friend of mine who had her first home birth in November. I talked to her after my appt at the birth center and she really encouraged me to call some other home birth midwives. I think she knows how badly I want my home birth and of course she now knows how wonderful it can be. I will be leaning on her for support through this pregnancy a lot, I think.

Twinkle February 5th, 2011 05:40 PM

Andrea, I think its great that you have that friend. When I was researching homebirth for Kate's birth, I joined a local meetup group for homebirthers in my area. I am still good friends with those women and really rely on them for support!

breathing for two February 6th, 2011 08:03 AM

My husband is very supportive, my parents are pretty supportive (I'm using the same midwife my mom used for my little brother). A lot of my friends are skeptical, they aren't supportive, but they don't argue.

I have big problems with my in-laws about it, last pregnancy on Christmas (about a month before I was due) they literally got in a line and person after person tried to dissuade me from having a homebirth. It was weird, and oddly hilarious. This pregnancy no one is even mentioning that I'm pregnant, it's weird.

renaekathleen February 6th, 2011 01:23 PM

My SO, parents, and friends are all supportive. I am not sure about SO's mom, though. She just recently asked him if we were going to get married so we wouldn't have an "illegitimate" child. Uh, no. He was like, "No one I know would consider this child illegitimate. Would you?" I can only imagine how she's respond to the idea of home birth.